Chapter 33 ×EMMIE×

As soon as those words came out of my mouth, I saw Ethan's face turn into panic. Shit. What am I even doing? I like him. Why am I breaking up with him over Asher? I just need to let him down easy. Like they do in the movies. Yeah, right. That never works.

       I decided to look away from him for the time being, so I didn't change my mind since I wasn't really set on this idea anyway. He finally said something. "What do you mean?" 

       I squeezed my eyes shut. "We shouldn't be together, Ethan. We're completely different." It broke my heart to say it. It was the most bullshit excuse I could have given. He stopped walking and I stopped with him. The hurt and panic was all over his face. He squeezed his eyes shut like I had done just seconds ago. He opened them, and I saw determination there. His hands came up to cup my face, and I knew that I was going to lose this battle, but this time, I didn't mind. He rested his forehead against mine and I didn't move. "Oh, sweet Eminem," he said smiling. "Opposites attract," he whispered softly. I gave a small smile.

       And that was it. That was all it took for me to break. I suddenly needed him. I pulled his face down so that our lips could meet and it was so much different from all the other times we had kissed. It was hungry, and anxious, and greedy, and relief all in one. I had never kissed him like this before, but instincts were running and telling me what to do, how to move my tongue, when to open and close my mouth. 

       My body was in overdrive and I wanted more of him, I wanted all of him, but my mind was still working, and I knew that I couldn't give myself up to him yet. Yet.

       My resolve was easily forgotten. I didn't think this would work anyway. I just didn't like seeing Asher and Ethan fighting. I knew that Asher practically loathed Ethan, and I didn't want all that conflict between them, so I was going to take the easy road out and just try to forget about him. I was willing to do that for Asher, my best friend, but what I was doing now was completely for me. Asher would just have to live with it.

       We finally broke away, panting for breath. I smiled. "Dammit, Ethan. You weren't supposed to do that." He smiled and kissed my forehead. Suddenly, my eyes widened as I remembered something. I pulled out my phone to check the time. It was three thirty. "Ethan, we have to go," I said. He looked confused at first but then his face showed realization.

       I had thirty minutes until I had to be at Dad's shop which was a forty five minute drive. I started running back towards the house and I could hear Ethan's footsteps behind me. When we reached his car, I told him I'll be right back and went inside to grab some clothes to work in and a hair tie.

       I quickly pounded back down the stairs and jumped into the car, which was already cranked, thank God. He started pulling away, heading towards Main Street. I hadn't put my seatbelt on yet and I picked up the bundled black tank top to find the back. I threw my shirt off and then felt the car swerve a little. I looked over at Ethan. "Pay attention to the road." He smiled and kept his eyes on the road as I threw the new shirt over my head. 

        Then, I unbuttoned my jeans, trying to work them down while concentrating on not letting my underwear go with it. I finally got those down too and worked the black jean cutoffs up and struggled to get it over my thighs. Once I got them over my hips, it was easy to button. I stuffed my other clothes into my satchel and threw it in the back seat, putting my combat boots back on.

       When I finished, I finally buckled up and threw my hair up into a top knot. I leaned back in the seat and turned my head towards Ethan, who was fighting a smile. "Are you okay?" He glanced at me and shook his head, his smile had won over.

       Thirty minutes later, we pulled into the garage at four eighteen. I leaned over and gave Ethan a peck on the cheek and said a goodbye. I hopped down from the SUV and Dad walked out to meet me. He waved at Ethan who was pulling away. I saw him wave back and he pulled onto the street. 

        "I'm sorry that I'm late. We got caught up." Dad laughed and said "Don't worry about it. Your shift doesn't start until four thirty. I told you four so that you would be here on time. Smart move, eh?" I rolled my eyes. "You made me change in the car for nothing." He laughed again. "I'm sure it's nothing Ethan hasn't seen before." 

        My cheeks reddened and I looked away. "Still a virgin, Dad," I told him quietly. I looked back over at him and his eyebrows were raised. "I'm surprised. That kid doesn't look like he'd keep you that way for long," he said, chuckling. I glared at him. "He hasn't tried anything yet, and I doubt he's going to. He's not like that." Dad raised his hands in surrender she he saw my hard expression. "Okay, okay." 

        Then he spread his arms and enveloped me in a hug which I grudgingly returned. "Why are you in this shop? You never come here," I stated. He shrugged when I pulled away. "I can transfer between my two shops. It's not a big deal." I rolled my eyes as he handed me a pair of white overalls with shorts instead of pants. I raised an eyebrow. "Is white really the ideal color for this job," I teased. He laughed and I slipped it on.