Chapter 46 ×ETHAN×

I suddenly woke up, not knowing why, because I was sleeping so peacefully. I glanced over at Emmorie to see that she was sleeping and I let out a deep breath of relief. I settled back into my chair, listening to the steady beeping of her heart. I closed my eyes again and right when I started drifting off, I heard a long, monotonous beep. I sat straight to see and hear that Emmorie was flatlining. I jumped up and ran into the hall, calling for a nurse.

        They came rushing in. There were three of them and they quickly began readjusting tubes and cords and asked me to step out. I pulled out my phone as soon as I stepped into the hall. I didn't have any of her family members numbers so I just called Mom. She picked up after the third ring.

        "Hello," she answered. "Mom, are you at home?" She replied with a yes and I quickly told her what to do. "Go next door and bang on the door. Tell them that Emmorie's flatlining." I heard shuffling on the other line. I heard a door open and close and I heard Mom's short gasps of breath, then I heard a pounding, assuming that it was Mom knocking on the door.

        She was still gasping for breath and when I hear the door open. I don't hear Mom say anything, but instead I hear a voice say "Hello?" I realize that Mom gave the phone to whoever answered the door and I could tell that it was Chloe.

       "Chloe, quickly go tell your mom that I'm still at the hospital and Emmorie is flatlining." I heard a sharp intake of breath and the line cut off.

       I paced back and forth in the hallway, constantly running my hand through my hair. I had never really been a religious person, but right then, I prayed. I prayed to whoever was up there listening, hoping that they would answer.

        Please God, don't take her from me. Please please please. I just got her, don't let her go like this.