Chapter 24 ×ETHAN×

I watched the car pull away, and thought of her soft lips on my cheek. It felt like it burned and tingles, but in a good way. I smiled to myself and walked back to my house. I walked in, the table was set, Aunt Dianne and Audrey already seated. They were both looking at me with smiles on their faces and I raised a brow. I walked toward my seat when Mom walked in. 

       She served the meal and sat down beside me. She looked at me and gasped. My eyes widened, wondering why she did that. She grabbed my jaw in one hand and turned the other side of my face. Once she found what she was looking for, she started grinning from ear to ear. "What," I asked, confused.

       "Are you aware that you have red lips on your cheek, son?" My eyes grew wide again and I got up and went to the bathroom to look in the mirror. Sure enough, Emmorie's lips were printed right there on my cheek. I smiled to myself and got a rag to wash it off. Once I got it off, I went back to the table, smiling.

       My mother was still smiling at me when I came back in. I sat beside her again and she asked "Was that from Emmorie?" I pulled my lip ring into my mouth and kept quiet, looking at my plate, while trying not to smile. "Who's Emmorie," Audrey asked. I looked up at her, but Mom answered for me. 

      "She's a girl that lives next door. Her and Ethan hang out practically 24/7. She's really sweet too. Sometimes she'll help me fix dinner." Audrey looked at me again. "Is she your girlfriend?" I shook my head. 

       "What do you think of her, E?" I wasn't expecting Audrey to ask me that. I cleared my throat and answered hesitantly. "Well…she's amazing.m," I said honestly. They all smiled widely. "Tell us about her," Aunt Dianne said. I hadn't really talked to anyone about Emmorie. 

       "There's a lot to like about her. She's smart, beautiful, funny, caring, she doesn't put her own needs first. She likes to go to the park and throw bread and seeds to the birds and she's in all AP classes. Her smile can light up a room and she's the kind of person that protects her family above all else, you know?" I had gotten lost in my mind, trying to describe Emmorie. That wasn't even the half of it because there was so much more to her than you could put into words. 

        "Sounds like someone's in-" Audrey got cut off by someone knocking on the front door. "I'll get it," I said, standing up. I walked to.the front door, Mom behind me. I was not expecting Jennifer at the door at all.

        She smiled nicely at me, which was super weird. "Hello Ethan," she greeted. I was dumbfounded. "Jennifer," I said, nodding. "Is your mother around," she asked. I turned around, Mom just walking in. I stepped aside to let her have the door while I stood behind her.

        "Good evening, Caroline. I just came by to apologize." Mom's eyebrows shot up in surprise. Emmorie's mother continued before Mom could say anything. "I just needed to say that I'm sorry for the way I've treated you over the years and the other day. Emmorie helped me see that it was wrong to do that to you when you were hurting and I'm truly, deeply, sorry for all the trouble that I've caused you."

        I just stared blankly at the woman who I watched beat Emmorie and when I thought of that night and the bottle shattering over Emmorie's head, I felt rage wash over me. I clenched my fists and breathed deeply, trying not to lose control. 

        Mom turned to me. "Ethan, why don't you go and sit with Dianne and Audrey." It took a moment for her words to register, but when they did, I looked down at my mother. "Yes ma'am," I said respectfully and turned to walk back into the kitchen. I sat at my seat and Aunt Dianne looked at me. "Who's here, child?" 

        "Someone for Mom," I answered my voice strained. We waited and a few minutes later, when I had finished my food, Mom came back in. I took my plate to the sink and quickly walked out of the side door that went to the garage. I went outside and ran to Jennifer before she could reach her house. 

        "Jennifer," I said. She turned to look at me, shock widening her eyes. "Oh. Hello again, Ethan." I looked at her for a moment, seeing nothing of Emmorie in her. "I just wanted to ask you something." She nodded for me to continue, so I did. "I just wanted to know why you did that to Emmorie."

       She looked at me, her face confused. I explained what I meant. "I saw you, that night. You smashed a bottle over Emmorie's head and you beat her. I want to know why." I heard her breath catch. She looked up at me and I could see that she was even shorter than Emmorie.

       "I… I honestly don't know, Ethan. But those were the biggest mistakes of my life. I just want to make sure that I never do it again." I pressed my lips together, feeling my lip ring press into my mouth. "Please don't," I pleaded. "I can't stand to see Emmorie hurting like that. She deserves better than that, Jennifer." I saw tears form in her eyes. "I know she does. They all do. I've been such a horrible mother, but I'm trying to get better, you know? I need to, so I can give them the life that they deserve." I nodded, not wanting to see her cry anymore.

        "That's all I ask," I said, turning away. She grabbed my arm and turned me back around, looking up into my eyes and she gave me a small smile. "You love her, don't you?" I didn't say anything. I wasn't sure if I loved her yet, but I definitely felt something for her. She took my silence and said "don't let her go, please." Then she was the one to turn and walk away. I stood there and watched as she disappeared into her house.