Chapter 11 ×EMMIE×

We were running, running, running… out of breath. I turn to see Asher catching up to us. I couldn't go much farther, Chloe would be on her own, but at least I don't have the keys and she has much more energy. I really need to stop smoking.

         I stop to catch my breath. That's when I see him. He came out of nowhere and practically tackled Chloe.Uncle Stephen had her on the ground, pinning her down. For Christ sakes. I go to help her when Asher wraps his arms around me and my arms are now rendered useless. I turn and glare at him. "Really," I asked, my breath still not with me yet.  

         "You're the one who decided to play dirty. Now it's my turn." I turned and gave him a lopsided smile. "Okay. Fine. Let's play dirty, big brother," I said evilly. I stomped on his instep then elbowed him, not too hard, in the ribs. Then I did what he used to do to me when we did boxing matches together.

        I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck and flipped him over me, onto his back. He grunted and I childishly stuck my tongue out as he lay on the ground below me. "How's it feel, shorty." I stepped over him and flipped my hair that I had let down. 

        I saw Ethan sitting under the shade of a tree, a book open in his hand, gaping at me. I waved and then turned as I heard Chloe calling me. "Sissy, help!" I ran over and crossed my arms when I stopped. "Uncle Stephen. Don't you have work soon?" He glanced up at me, surprised. Then he looked over at Asher who was still on the ground. 

       He stopped tickling Chloe and stood up abruptly. "Uh… you know. You are right. See ya kids." As he jogged to the house he called "Good luck with that Ash." I smiled and helped Chloe up. 

        "Come one Chloe. I'm hungry and my ribs are killing me." She shrugged and turned with me. She handed me the keys and as we passed Ash I dropped the keys on his chest. "We're done now. Bye." 

        We went in and had sandwiches and then when we went to have seconds, Chloe stopped me before I started shoving it in my mouth. "Wait. We should have a picnic in the backyard, like we used to with Daddy." I smiled at her. "Good idea." We went and found our red checkered blanket that Dad bought us for this exact reason, then we went outside and spread it out.

        When we sat down, I noticed that Ethan was still under the tree, reading a book. Chloe saw me glance at him and got up and ran over to the fence separating our yard.

       "Hey," she called. Oh, Lord. Ethan looked up and his eyes zeroed in on Chloe. Chloe waved him over and he tentatively got up and walked over. "Yes," I heard him ask. 

       "Do you want to have a picnic with us?" He smiled at her and glanced at me. "Sure," he said, turning back to Chloe. She smiled back at him. "Can you climb a fence," she asked him. He smirked at her and jumped clean over the fence, only placing his foot in one hole.              

        "What's your name," Chloe asked. He replied "Ethan. You're Chloe, right?" She nodded as they walked over. Chloe sat beside me. She glared at me. "What," I asked, about to bring my sandwich in my mouth. She rolled her eyes.

        "You didn't make any for Ethan, and you're just stuffing your face while he's practically starving." I glanced at him and he was smiling at me. I was not getting up to make him a sandwich. I was about to voice my thoughts when Chloe snatched my sandwich. 

        My jaw dropped. "Who do you think you are? I worked hard on making that and it wasn't my idea to invite Ethan over here, so you better give me my food back before I cut your hand off like last time." Her eyes widened and she thrust the sandwich back in my hands. She remembered last time.

       I was sitting on the couch at Dad's, eating leftover steak. I was cutting it up when my plate disappeared into tiny hands. She was trying to get my attention for something when I swiped the knife right next to her hand. It didn't touch her but it scared the shit out of her. She never touched my food again, till now.

       I glared at her and took a bite of my sandwich. She sighed. "Fine. I'll go make him a sandwich."  I nodded and watched as she went into the house. "Hello again, Eminem," he said. I smiled at my new nickname. I didn't like the name, but I liked the way it sounded, coming off of his lips.

        I looked at him while I chewed and took in his dark brown hair that was swept back and those intense light gray eyes, his sharp jaw and I noticed that his jaw looked freshly shaven. I also noticed that his bottom lip, with the ring, was much fuller than the top.

        I looked back at his eyes and when I swallowed my food, I asked "Did that lip ring hurt?" He shrugged, biting his bottom lip. "It hurt a little, but it was bearable." I smiled. Then he asked "Did your belly button ring hurt?" I was about to ask how he knew about that but then I remembered the crop top I wore yesterday. I lifted my tight tank top to look at it. But I forgot about the bruises. 

        I sucked in a deep breath and quickly dropped my shirt. I cleared my throat, shaking my head lightly. "Um. No. It didn't hurt." I avoided his eyes and took another bite of my sandwich. I could see from the corner of my eye that he was still looking at my stomach. His eyes trailed back up to my face.  

        I could see on his face that he was genuinely concerned. Thankfully, before he could say anything, Chloe came back out the door and I plastered a fake smile on my face, to make her happy. She handed him a saucer with a sandwich on it. He pulled his eyes off of me and turned to smile at Chloe. "Thanks," he said to her.