Chapter 34 ×ETHAN×

At eight o'clock, Emmorie texted to tell me her shift was almost over. I didn't go home, I just drove around, checking out the stores and sights of this town. I pulled up into the garage about five minutes later. Emmorie stood there, talking to her father, wearing white overalls.

       I got out to greet her and she came up and hugged me and I kissed the top of her head. Josh said hello and asked how my mom was doing and I answered. He said goodbye and walked in when I opened the door for Emmorie. When I got in, I smiled at her. "Nice uniform," I teased. She smirked. "Did you enjoy it," I asked. She nodded and said "Yeah. I've always liked helping my dad build stuff and everything and helping out with the cars. Hat did you do?" 

       "Just drove around town all day. Wanna grab a bite to eat?" She nodded and I pulled into a diner that I had seen earlier today.

       We went in and heard the bell chime above us. We sat in a booth in the back of the diner. After ordering from the waitress who was looking at me a little too long, her smile a familiar flirtatious one that said "I want a taste of you". I turned when she walked away to see Emmorie glaring at her. 

       She turned her attention back to me when I started chuckling. "What," she asked. I shook my head slightly. "Nothing. You just look so cute when you're jealous," I said.

        She sat back and crossed her arms. "I am not jealous. I just didn't like the way she was looking at you." She huffed when I started laughing harder. Now I was the one she was glaring at.

        The waitress came back with our drinks then, setting them down in front of us. She walked away without a second glance. "We should have an official date soon," I suggested. Her face softened and she awarded me with a smile. "What are you thinking we should do?" I shrugged.

         "It'll be a surprise. When's the next time you're free?" She thought about it for a moment. "I don't have work Saturday," she said. I nodded, thinking it over. 

        "How about seven thirty? I can come pick you up and we can go somewhere," I said, already putting my plan in place. She nodded and the waitress came back with our food. While we ate, we talked to each other and told jokes and stories. It was nine o'clock when we finished and headed to the SUV.

        Forty five minutes later, we pulled into the garage and Emmorie was sleeping against the window. I sat there, watching her deep breathing. She looked younger when she was peacefully sleeping, and I didn't want to wake her up.

        I went around and shook her shoulder to wake her up. Her eyes slowly crept open and she unbuckled her seatbelt. She held out her arms and I walked into them. She wrapped her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck. 

        I chuckled softly. "Are you that tired?" She nodded her head. I sighed and put an arm under her thighs for support and slid her out of the SUV. She was surprisingly light and it was a lot easier to carry her than I thought it would be.

        I carried her to her porch and stopped at the door. "I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to carry you inside like this," I whispered in her ear. She groaned and dropped her legs, her arms still around my neck. She opened her eyes again to look up at me and smiled.

        She reached up and planted a kiss on my lips and whispered softly "Goodnight, Ethan." Then she turned away, walking into the house. "Night, Em."