Chapter 38. 'Happy to have a nephew now @Greghoran87?'

Chapter 38

“Hello Riley” I heard her mutter from the other end of the phone, worry seeping into every word “How have you been darling?”

“Why are you calling?” Niall blinked at me and I turned away from his eyes questioning; ‘Why are you talking to your mother like that?’

“I saw a stack of newspapers today with my daughters face all over them, I thought it was only right to call and see if she was okay”

“Where did you get me number?”

“I called Ann; she said Harry and you have re-connected lately” she paused “And that you’re dating one of his friends”

“What if I am?”

“I’m just curious of my daughter’s life, is there any harm in that?”

“Why are you curious all of a sudden, you had 3 years to make things better and you never did, as soon as you see my face on a national newspaper you decide to try and find me?” I huffed “That’s not how this works”

“I’m your mother”

“No you’re not, Stella’s my mother, Ann’s my mother, you-“ I gulped “Your just the woman who raised me”

“Don’t I at least deserve a nicer tone of voice for that?”

“You don’t call the shots here lady”

“If that’s the way it’s going to be”

“It is”

She paused on the other end of the line “What exactly are you going to tell my grandson when he gets older, when he asks where his other set of grandparents are, when he asks why he only has 1 nanny”

“The truth” I whispered “That my mother’s a cruel bitch who throws out her only daughter and my father’s a brick who never shows any emotion”

“I’m getting old Riley; I want to see my grandson”

“Grandson, I didn’t know you had a Grandson, there’s no Grandson of yours here”

“You can’t raise the boy on his own, with 3 females and a godfather leading him the right way, he needs a father figure, or a grandfather to teach him the right way, he needs someone-“

“Better than the two of you”

She sighed “He needs someone other than his mother”

“Thank you for bringing me into the world but don’t try and weasel your way into my life with this stupid idea, has someone other than me; he has lots of people other than me” I frowned and looked back at Niall “He has a father figure, he has 6 uncles, 4 aunts, a great aunt and even a cousin, as a matter of fact, I’m packing to go introduce Draco to the rest of his family, his grandparents and his uncle”

“They’ll never be his real family”

“There a better family than you would ever be” I sighed, squeezing my eyes closed “Thank you for ‘caring’ about me welfare but 3 years after you left me alone is not the time to come back into my life”

“Riley-“

“Don’t” I whispered “You aren’t seeing Draco or me, ever again”

I hung up the phone and shoved it back into my pocket, turning to face Niall. His face had regained some color, not a lot though and his eyes were still judging me.

“She’s your mother” he said, accent thick with his emotions “Why won’t you talk to her?”

“She threw me out; she left me alone when I was barely 17, I had no job, no car, no home, no family” I swallowed thickly “My real mother is downstairs, my real family is here”