Chapter Seven

Grian continued throwing eggs. It seemed that a group of college students thought they would be safe if they walked the streets as a group, but they were very much mistaken. Each and every one of them had yolk covering their heads by the time they found shelter. The man in the chicken costume sighed. It was definitely a fun past time, but his searching strategy wasn't working. It will. He would be the only one walking the streets just to find me... besides that Mumbo chap.

He descended upon a building and sat on the ledge in frustration. I hope I find him soon. He shut his eyes, and instantly saw the events that took place in Evo replaying over and over again. The first to go was Taurtis. I didn't even notice anything was wrong at first. He disappeared for a day, and I figured he needed a short break. Then a day turned into a week, then a month, then a couple of months. I visited his house a couple times, but one time, I saw him. It wasn't him. That wasn't him, he mentally reminded himself and continued.

It was something detached and shadow-like. I confronted it. It stared at me in the same way that the other thing used to stare at me, and that's how I knew who was behind it all. I screamed at it, threatened it, and I did try to fight it. It teleported away, causing chaos throughout the town. Next was Timmy, then Netty, then Tom, and soon everyone but me was gone and replaced by these shadowy figures. They attacked me, but I beat them. 

That's when he came out. He said this was only the beginning. He had more plans. He wasn't going to be alone anymore. He walked, but it seemed that he was stepping across some invisible bridge in the sky that I could not see. His feet were moving, he was going forward, but he was practically flying. I tried to jump after him. I tried to chase him. He was too fast. Before I knew it, he was gone. They were all gone. Only destroyed buildings, fire, and explosives surrounded me. At some point during my boring life, I would have welcomed chaos. Not now. There were no more police forces, mafia, businesses, or any sign that this had once been a prosperous place. I sat in my giant house for hours. It had never felt quite so empty before. 

Grian snapped his eyes open and drew in a breath. He looked around the city and noted how deserted it was. This is my doing. He let out a long, sorrowful sigh. He lifted the bottom of his mask again, allowing only his mouth and nose to be seen. He needed the cool air.

Suddenly, he heard the nearly silent sound of a footstep behind him. He jumped up and twirled around, an egg held in his grip, ready to be thrown. Mumbo was frozen in a tiptoe position, a newspaper in one hand. Grian did not lighten up on his defensive stance. "What are you doing?" he asked in a deep, serious tone. Mumbo gulped and resumed a normal standing position. "Aha, well I just wanted to surprise you with this, but I see that you might have a lot on your mind right now." Mumbo slowly offered the newspaper to Grian. The short man grabbed it cautiously, then relaxed once he realized what Mumbo had been trying to show him. "Front page, huh? What can I say, Mumbo? You did pick an egg-cellent picture of me for the article, I will admit," he smiled. Mumbo sighed in relief at the broken tension. "This was an all time record for paper sales. I suppose it might make me forgive you for leaving me on that building..." Mumbo crossed his arms and pretended to still be upset.

Grian put a hand over his forehead dramatically. "Why Mumbo Jumbo! I am SO sorry for what I've done! Could you ever find it in your stone-cold reporter heart to forgive me? I didn't do it to be egg-ressive!" Mumbo turned around, laughing at the awful joke. "You're just lucky that my friend was able to help. I will warn you that he's pretty sore toward you, Poultry Man." Grian handed the newspaper back to the taller man. "How did you get up here anyway?"

"I may or may not... have borrowed a skeleton key from a detective... without his knowledge. Speaking of which, I should probably text him that I am well. Give me a moment please." Mumbo took out a phone and began to quickly text Doc that he was doing a bit more investigating and would be sure to call if he needed help. Grian took the opportunity to resume his comfortable spot sitting on the ledge again. Once Mumbo was done, he joined Poultry Man. They sat in silence for a few seconds before the reporter spoke up.

"You know that your mask is not covering your whole face, right? It's a bit lifted at the bottom. I mean, I still can't tell who you are but-"

"Yeah, I know. I just needed a bit of air to clear my head." There was more silence, both not quite sure what to say to the other. The quietness of the city and lack of visible stars made it feel as though their conversation was even more important. "Mind if I ask what's on your mind? I haven't known you long, but you're acting a bit different today. Is there something I can do to help?" Mumbo asked lightly. Grian looked at Mumbo with a tilted head. "If I tell you, do you promise to keep it off the record?" His tone had become soft, which surprised the reporter as Poultry Man's voice was normally a tad deep. "Yes. I promise."

Poultry Man sighed and looked back at the city again. "Quite honestly, I came here... looking for someone. I mostly became a villain to get their attention. I only partially did it for the reasons I told you during the interview. I'm not sure what I'll do when I find them, but it's just important that I do. So far, my plan doesn't seem to be working. If anything, I may just be bamboozling myself," Grian grinned sadly. Mumbo looked down at the newpaper in his hands. Of course a villain won't tell you what his real plans are. I'll be a bit honest, I feel betrayed! I mean, he's telling me now, but how do I know he isn't keeping more stuff to himself. Is it even really my business to know? Who is the person he's looking for? Do I know them?

"I hope you find them, I guess. You don't seem like too bad a guy, so I get the feeling you aren't intending to do any real harm to good people. If it helps, I just met an architect the other day who I've never seen before and seems like a strange man," Mumbo offered. Poultry Man laughed, falling on his back. "The person I'm looking for is slightly beyond 'odd', but I appreciate it nonetheless." His laughter slowly died down, and he sat up, becoming serious once again. "I think the best way you can help me is not following any more strangers. I, of course, am okay. But especially people who seem too nice or weird should not be alone with you in deserted areas. I believe that is just common sense, but then again, NOT following city villains and trying to become their friend is also common sense. You CAN follow basic instruction, right?" Mumbo laughed nervously, his eyes darting from side to side as he rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah of course! I'm like the best at following basic instruction!"

Grian was just about to comment when a loud door slam stunned them. Doc came running out, his gun drawn and aimed at the now standing Poultry Man. "Freeze! This is HPD! Lower the egg and put your hands up!" 

Feathers and Eggsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें