Chapter Nineteen

"Really, Iskall? Just because I allowed you in here once, doesn't mean you can just keep waltzing in whenever you feel like it," Grian mumbled under his breath. He texted back to Iskall a "no" in response to the message: "Can I come to the 'you know where'? I'm bored" that he'd received on his phone.

Iskall: But why? :(

Grian: Just 'being bored' is a bad reason

Iskall: Ok lol that is fair

Iskall: Can I come over to help you protect the city then? Protecting the city is a good reason right?

Grian: I'm not letting you come over 

IskallIskall: Aw I even kept your identity a secret and you won't even let me come visit :(

Grian: I didn't ask for you to figure out my identity now did I?

Iskall: But you did ask me to keep it a secret 

Grian: That's kind of an obligation as

Grian: What did you call yourself in your letter?

Grian: My "MAGNIFICENT friend" 

Iskall: Hahaha that is true

Iskall: Can I call?

Grian stared hesitantly at the phone. He found himself smirking and responded with a "sure". He immediately answered after Iskall's caller ID appeared. "Look, Grian, I get if you do not want me to come over. I know you like to do uh 'Grian' things or 'Poultry Man' things or whatever you like to do. But I am a little bit concerned about you being alone so much and keeping a secret this big. Maybe you could....?"

"No. I don't want to tell Mumbo, at least not just yet. You don't understand how much danger you're in, Iskall. Do you really want to put Mumbo at risk too? I can't even guarantee that you will be safe, let alone anymore people in this city. I just want to-" Grian stopped himself, rubbing his head in frustration. He heard Iskall let out a small sigh. "What, Grian? What is it you want to do?" Grian thought about the question his friend asked and debated over what answer he should give. I could tell him something vague, like sleep. But it's Iskall... and since he already knows my identity, maybe he might as well know why I'm here...?

"I- I just want to stop one very bad person from destroying another very good place. You see, Iskall, I-" Iskall interrupted the other man with confusion in his voice. "I'm so sorry, Grian, but I just got a text from Mumbo. It looks kind of weird. It says, 'Ask Grian if he's ready for more shadows. We'll meet at the newly made rustic house on the edge of town. I believe his sewer system hooks up to it'. Why would Mumbo send this? ...Grian? Hello? Are you still there?" The man in the chicken costume felt his chest tighten, and panic began to set in. "Oh no. Oh no no no no. He's got him..." He whispered, barely audible enough for Iskall to hear.

"What? Who's got who, Grian? You're confusing me."

"I'm coming to get you, Iskall. Keep.... Just keep your phone on. I'm on my way." Poultry Man dashed out of his cave and flew through the sewer tunnels to get to the editor's apartment. How could I let this happen? I should've- Now he might be... I'm coming Npc Grian. I'm ending this now.

"I'm coming, Mumbo. Just hang on."

[Author's Note: Thank you for being so patient with me! I know it isn't much, but I hope you'll enjoy these new chapters somewhat. :)]