🕵 T w o

Zayn closed the door to the refrigerator with his foot and carried a bowl of chicken salad to the kitchen island. He was currently on the phone with Niall.

"Mhm. Exactly, Ni. That's what I was trying to tell her. Hopefully when they get here later this week, she will understand why I really want her to move closer to me."

"And my mother to me."

"Yes. And I get it. She's worried about leaving Maura and Maura is worried about moving away and leaving mum. But that's why you and I both are trying to get them to move at the same time. Then no one is lonely. I'm not sure they're understanding that though. And it's frustrating."

"Don't worry. We'll get there. We will. It just takes time. Moving from the place you've been used to for years isn't easy. It wasn't for us. We only did it for me and my school endeavors."

"Yeah. I know."

"So we'll eventually get them to understand what we are asking."

"I hope so. Because I will definitely need to keep up with her more often when she gets older and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep up with flying back and forth to see her as often as I fear I will have to, you know."

"Yeah. I know."

"Zayn."

He looked up from the counter to see Harry in the doorway looking lost. "What's wrong, babe?"

"I'm looking for my blue folder. I had some paper with figures written on it and I need to find it. It's importamt."

"Check the couch in the bedroom. I think I last saw it there."

"Okay."

He scurried out and Zayn went over to another counter and unraveled a loaf of bread, still with the phone pressed between his ear and shoulder.

"You know what I was thinking, Niall?"

"What?"

"My busy week should be finished by Friday. What if we took them house hunting on Saturday when they got here but didn't tell them that's what we were planning to do? Maybe if they see some of the places around here, they might want to stay."

"Good idea. We definitely should do that. I won't have to go to work because I took the day off to spend with her. That would be great."

"It would."

"So then that's the plan. We'll go house hunting."

"But we'll have to pick some specific houses to look at. And they have to be really convincing or else it completely defeats the purpose."

He heard Niall sigh into the phone. "Ugh. You mean put together a whole list? That's a lot of searching. You know I don't have the time or patience for that yet. Plus unlike you, I'm not rich and can't pay it off all at once so I can't jump at the first thing I see. It needs to be something reasonable. Which means even more time spent."

"Okay. Well... what about condominiums for now? That way we can wait until they're both settled in and then we'll take them house hunting."

"Ah, yes. Much better idea. Then there wouldn't be a need to rush."

"Exactly."

He put two slices of bread in the toaster and let it down just as someone kissed him on the cheek.

"I found the folder. You are a life saver, baby."

"I know. That's why I'm making you thinking food. I want those numbers to be accurate when it's my turn to put them into the computer. Wouldn't want the boss to have to fire me for incorrect data entry."