🕵 N i n e

The door to the shed opened and in walked kelly in a pink raincoat.

Zayn had been staring at the wall in front of him, listening to the rain and wondering if there was some way to break these cuffs and get out of here. This was no way to live. Not only was his arm so uncomfortable from being held up by cuffs, but he had been served plain scrambled eggs again which he puked up due to the sufficating humidity from the heat and rain. The sweat was pouring from his body and he was incredibly thirsty right now. He needed to get out of here but so far there was no way out. The only way out was the same way his kidnappers came in.

"I'm supposed to come and check on you." Kelly said quietly. "Do you need a bottle or jar?"

Zayn faced her. "No."

"How are you feeling? I mean... after you threw up everything you ate earlier."

"Hot and thirsty."

"Right. Well... okay."

When the silence became awkward, she just turned on her heels and left the shed. She didn't close the door or lock it behind her, but Zayn wasn't complaining. This was the most daylight he'd seen in a while and on top of that, a small breeze was blowing in.

After about ten minutes, Kelly came back again. But this time she wasn't empty handed. There was a paper cup in one hand and a packaged granola bar in the other hand.

"She sat that on the rolling table and wheeled it over to Zayn.

"Here."

Zayn was so confused. "What?"

"Here. Eat and a drink this. You need it."

She was gesturing at him but he did not make a move. What kind of game was she playing? Did Rod send her here to trick him?

"Why do you want me to eat that?" He asked curiously. "Is it poisoned?"

She shook her head. "No. It isn't poisoned. I just thought you would need something on your stomach after you threw up earlier."

Zayn was still confused. This didn't make any sense.

"But you're holding me captive."

"I know."

"So why are you being nice?"

She put her hands behind her back. "I still believe you shouldn't have to starve. So you should go on and eat and drink. Or else I'll have to take it back before I get in trouble."

When he heard those words, he thought about something she told him yesterday. She told him not to be afraid of her because she didn't want to hurt him. At the time, he didn't fully believe her. After all, how could it be possible not to want to hurt someone she'd kidnapped? But she backed it up by bringing him something to eat and drink today. Maybe she wasn't that sort of person.

He slowly sat up and opened the granola bar package with his teeth. There was a layer of chocolate on top and when he took one bite into it, a thought came to mind.

"Rod must not be here." He said quietly.

"Who?"

"Rod. The man who has the gun and makes the phone calls."

"Oh." She exhaled nervously. "He left to buy something at the store."

"Oh."

"But. He'll be back soon, so..."

Zayn ate that granola bar in three large bites. Then he chased it with water. He was shocked to find that the water was actually cold. It also wasn't tap water. It was clean, filtered water. And it was so refreshing.