🕵 T w e n t y O n e

A half an hour or so later, Harry pulled into the backyard of the house he pinned in his phone yesterday. Just looking at it from the outside, it was clearly very old and barely standing. And this was the house Amos was watching from. Did he not know how dangerous this was?

Just when he was wondering how he was supposed to get inside, the back door opened and Amos came out to meet him. So Harry opened the door and got out of the car.

"You made it."

"Yes. I did. And I don't understand how you're in this disgusting place."

"Eh. It's not too bad if you're wearing clothes you don't mind throwing away if you need to. Why are you in an expensive suit on a stake out?"

Harry's whole demeanor changed and he shook his head. "Long story."

"That's no bother. I have plenty of time as you can see."

Harry chuckled and took out two plastic bags, one with a bag of ice and another one with a box of energy bars. "I brought the stuff you asked me to get."

"I see. But you did not think to bring clothes to change into or change before you came. Interesting."

"Maybe I would've thought about it if my own household wasn't against me."

"Own household?"

Harry scoffed then held the bags up. "Focus, Amos. This isn't what we're here for."

"Right." Amos led the way and Harry followed him inside.

"It does not smell great and the heat only intensifies it."

"What do you expect? There's no electricity and it's been closed up and rotting away here."

"How did you even get in?"

"The window was already broken in on one of the bedrooms at the end of the house."

"So someone was looting here."

"Yep. So I climbed in through the window and unlocked the door from the inside."

"Any animals living in here?"

"Suprisingly no. There was evidence of a past bird's nest in the room where the window was broken though."

"Eh."

"But we're good now. Although I hope you used the bathroom before you came. The toilet doesn't flush since it uses an electric pump, so..."

Harry raised his brow. "So what did you do when you had to go?"

"Luckily there is a backyard with plenty of grass."

"Right."

"And sanitation is a must so I have hand wipes. Because I know you're wondering."

"I wasn't."

"Yeah right."

They reached the living room at the front of the house. There were two folding chairs already set up at the window. There was also a cooler and a crate with the binoculars and misting fans from their last stake out. When he looked around, he saw old furniture still inside, particularly a couch and a tall chest near the entrance. He wondered why this home was abandoned at all. Or at least if they were going to abandon it, why didn't they take the furniture with them?

"You can put that in one of the chairs for now. I'll do something with it in a minute."

"Sure. You've been here all day?"

"Yep. Since six thirty. And I'd say we were lucky to have found and followed Kelly yesterday because she hasn't left his place today. I think she might be staying there as they wait to get away."