🕵 T w e n t y S e v e n

Two days later on Monday, Harry was due back at work again. When he woke up, Zayn wasn't in bed. But after a brief moment of panicking, he saw him sitting on the couch in the room, sipping coffee and staring out the window.

"You're up early."

"Yeah."

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay, I guess."

"Hmm. When I went to bed you were still awake. Why do I get the feeling you didn't sleep at all last night?"

"Because I didn't."

Harry came over and stood next to him. "You know sleep is important for healing and recovery, don't you? And with the weight you lost, lack of sleep won't help you gain it back."

But Zayn scoffed. "I can't sleep. I don't want to. Ethan kept giving me an injection that made me sleep for hours and each time I woke up, I had to spend a moment just figuring out where I was. That was awful."

"But this isn't like that. Not with me."

"Still..."

Harry sat down on the couch next to him. "Are you sure you're even going to be able to take care of the kids? Their last day of school was Thursday. So they're home all day now. That's why we hired Hannah and Marie."

"No. I don't need them. I know how to take care of them. I'll be fine."

"Okay, but you do need sleep before you have to do that. How about you and I go take a shower together. It might help you rest."

But as soon as Harry said that, Zayn drew away from him and got up. "I don't want to shower with you."

That really hurt Harry. He knew something was wrong. Ever since he brought him home, Zayn hadn't given him a single kiss. On top of that, he had been very opposed to Harry seeing him naked. In fact, he purposely went into the bathroom to put on his pajamas last night and screamed harshly at Harry when he nearly walked in on him. Harry wasn't one hundred percent sure. But something told him his actions had a lot to do with being found in women's lingerie.

"Zayn."

"What?"

"I know I said when you're ready. I still mean that. But whenever you do, I'd like to know what happened in that shed."

Zayn sat on his own side of the bed. "Why do you keep telling me to tell you when I'm ready as if I haven't already? I already told you. Yes, he killed that girl. And no he did not rape me."

"That's not what I'm talking about. Did he say something to you? About me?"

"No."

"And that's the truth?"

"Harry. I would like it very much if you didn't question me and just got ready for work. Thank you."

Harry twisted his mouth sideways. Well that was that. The conversation would have to end there if he didn't want to argue. So knowing he had just been shut out, he got up from the couch and got ready for work.

When he got there, he went into his office and leaned on his elbows to think. He really did miss having Zayn at work with him the past two weeks. But it looked like he was going to be missing him for an even longer while now. Based on the way Zayn behaved over the last two days, he knew Zayn was nowhere near ready to come back. Not just because of the bruises on his face. But because of the things in his mind. No way could he handle the duties that would be put on him when he was under so much mental stress. And because Harry knew that, he also knew there was something else that needed to be done.