🕵 E i g h t

The next morning before leaving the house, Harry was told by Nema that he forgot to make her and Charlie strawberry bagels for breakfast the day before. But the truth was that he didn't forget. He just didn't know. Zayn was usually the one to wake up and feed the kids and take then to school so he could focus on his job on weekdays. He knew he was very lucky to have a husband who took care of those things so he didn't have to.

Not having Zayn also meant that he had to get his own coffee from the coffee shop. Even in the rain. In this situation, he wasn't complaining. Zayn had it much worse than him by far. But those thoughts did make it a little harder to act normal because a good cry in the car meant showing up to work with red and swollen eyes.

Liam noticed it the second he saw him but wasn't able to say anything because he was too busy. He caught Harry in the break room working on his second cup of coffee for the day. This time it was hot coffee.

"Hello, Harry."

He only smiled slightly at him. "Hi, Liam."

"Are you alright?"

Harry raised his brow at him. "Yes. Why do you ask?"

Liam leaned against the wall and studied him.

"Harry."

"What?"

"I am your friend. I've known you for a long time now. I know when something is up. Plus it was obvious this morning, when I saw your face. You're hurting about something."

Harry scoffed. "No."

"Yes. And it's okay to talk about it if it hurts."

"Actually it isn't."

"Isn't okay to talk about it?"

Harry didn't answer him. He instead tried to ignore Liam by drinking long and loud sips of his coffee.

"Is it Zayn?"

Harry quickly stopped drinking and looked at him from over the cup.

"Huh?"

"I'm asking if you were crying about Zayn. I noticed he hasn't been here the last couple of days. Are you two alright?"

"We're fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Liam, I said we're fine. When I say we're fine, it means we're fine. It doesn't mean keep asking me a thousand questions that I am in no mood to answer. So can you please stop questioning me and let me finish my break so I can get back to work? Please?"

They stood staring at each other and when Liam knew he wasn't going to budge, he stepped around and away from him. He didn't apologize for showing concern. But Harry wasn't expecting him to. He knew his friend cared. He just couldn't tell him the truth and it really hurt.

Once again, Harry left work at four fifteen. For some reason, there was slightly less nervousness than yesterday. He didn't know if it was because he had now done it before or if it was because there was less money he had to worry about carrying around this time. Either way, the wait during the time the teller was processing his request was much less daunting. And when she was counting out his cash, he wasn't looking over his shoulder.

When he got home, Hannah and Marie's cars were there. He walked right in the house through the garage and into the kitchen where Hannah was with Marie and the children. It was the first time in a long time that Harry was home in time to see the children still eating their after school snack. Not even Zayn usually got home this early.

"Wow. Home early again, Mr. Styles. We've only been home for thirty minutes or so. Keep this up, and I'll be out of a job."

"Don't worry, Hannah. Your job is safe. And besides, I'll need you to watch the children till seven today."