🕵 T h r e e

As the last syllables rolled off his tongue, Harry's heart briefly stopped. He just couldn't believe it. Was this true? Did someone really have Zayn and were they really threatening to kill him? His mind kept asking those questions because right now, it just didn't feel real.

When he glanced back at his children, they were watching him to see what was taking him so long to get in the car. Nema could tell something was wrong and he knew that. So he told them to stay in the car and warned them not to move before he went back inside the house.

"Please. I don't know who you are but you can't do this."

"It's already been done. So now you listen to me. Are you listening?"

"I'm listening."

"You can make this easy on yourself by following instructions carefully. Until all instructions have been met, you won't see Zayn. So expect a waiting period."

"A waiting period? How long is the waiting period?"

"No questions. You only listen. Understand?"

He answered unwillingly. "Yes."

"Good. As long as we have him, you keep your mouth shut. You carry on as if nothing has happened. Tomorrow, while the bank is open, go and withdraw nine thousand seven hundred in cash."

"Nine thousand seven hundred?"

"That's what I said. Then keep it someplace safe until you're asked for it."

"Okay."

"At exactly eight p.m. tomorrow, you will receive another call for further instruction."

"Okay."

"Don't try any tricks and remember what I said about Zayn. You try anything and he's dead. Got it?"

"How do I know he's not dead now? How do I know you really have him and that he's in any real danger?"

"Because I said so."

"But I need proof that you have him and that he's alive. I'll give you what you want but if you want something, I need to know that he is alive."

There was a loud huff and then an irritated grunt. "Hold on."

The line became quiet, but after a moment, there was rustling and someone spoke frantically into the phone.

"Harry."

When Harry heard Zayn's voice muffled by tears, his heart beat even faster. He didn't have to ask anymore. It was definitely real.

"Zayn."

"He's threatening to kill me if you don't do what he says."

"I know. I know." He said in an effort to calm him. "But I'm not going to let that happen. I'm going to do everything I can to bring you back home alive. Okay?"

"Okay."

"But I want to make sure that you're really Zayn. Tell me something only Zayn would know."

The line was quiet.

"You called me Mr. Persistent today."

Suddenly Harry just dropped to his knees in grief. Even though he heard Zayn's voice, he was hoping it this was just a hoax or some virtual kidnapping and Zayn was nowhere near this person who threatened him. But he wasn't so lucky.

"Oh, Zayn-"

"That's enough." The distorted male voice was back again. "There's your proof that we have him and your proof of life. I'd say that's incentive enough not to try anything stupid. You follow your instructions and you do nothing else. You understand?"