🕵 T w e n t y T w o

When Harry was young and still in school, he learned about the brown pelican. They were very fascinating creatures in the bird family. Everything from the way they would litter the beach to the amount of food their pouches could hold at a time. But to him, the most entertaining fact about them was how they hunted for that food. The way they would nose dive into the water was a work of art. There was so much beauty and grace in them rotating their body sideways and pulling their wings close to their bodies just before they plummeted into the water and came up with a fish in their beaks. And it all happened in a split second. So quickly.

However, at that time, he didn't realize that very bird and it's hunting tactics would be a direct metaphor for his life. With Zayn's kidnapper, the pelican, and then Zayn, the fish, it all seemed like he was reading his science book all over again. And he didn't like what it was saying.

He wasn't sure what he was expecting when he was keeping quiet and slowly collecting the ransom money. But he shouldn't have expected to get his husband back once that money was paid. When pelicans capture a fish, they don't throw it back in the water, do they? Of course not. They eat it. They swallow it and that very fish is no longer seen again. That's that what they were trying to do to Zayn. And yet, someone stopped him from going over there to prevent it. Why would Amos do that?

Not knowing the answer to that, Harry had spent the drive back to his hotel feeling so angry and upset. But when he got there and finally turned on his phone again to see all the missed calls and text messages, he burst into tears because he understood. The same people who missed Zayn missed him too.

What if Amos had let him go and something terrible happened to him, assuring he wouldn't ever return to his family? That would compound his family's grief. Not wanting that to happen, he knew he must wait for Amos to figure something out. However, the waiting only left him anxious. So he ordered wine through room service and he went to take a warm relaxing shower.

When he finished showering, it was after nine o'clock. So he fed Buddy a can of food and used one of the paper coffee cups to pour water for him since he didn't bring his water bowl. Just as he sat the cup down, there was a knock on his hotel door. He wasn't expecting anyone. So he carefully treaded to the door and peeked out the peephole. He was shocked to see Amos there. But he opened the door and saw him with two bags in his hands and his suit coat draped over his arm.

"Nice pajamas. Is that silk?"

"What are you doing here? That sign says do not disturb for a reason."

"I came by to see you. To make sure you were okay."

"And to make sure I'm still here?"

"No. To make sure you're okay. I knew you were still here. Plus you left your coat at the house."

He walked inside and Harry closed the door behind him.

"I hope you're hungry. I brought something to eat. It's taco bowls and freshly fried tortilla chips from the Mexican restaurant down the street."

"I already ordered room service."

"Oh. What did you order?"

"Wine."

"Is that it?"

"Yep."

But Amos shook his head. "No. You need some food. I know you haven't been eating like you should. And as long as you're hungry, you will always be miserable. And I'm trying to help keep that from happening as much."

"By running off my cat? Harry asked.

He looked around and didn't see Buddy anywhere. "Oh. I did?"