🕵 T w e n t y F o u r

Harry's walk to the shed seemed like the longest walk ever. All he could think about were the bad outcomes. What if they were on this property and Zayn wasn't here? What if he was never here at all and they had been watching this place for nothing? What if he broke in here and found nothing. Or worse. Found something he had been trying to prevent when he decided not to tell the police in the first place.

Wanting to put those thoughts from this mind, he reached the shed and raised the bolt cutters to the lock. It took a little bit of force, but these bolt cutters were very reliable and easy to use. So he had no problem at all getting the metal to break.

He took the lock and dropped it in the grass near him. Then he took a deep breath and slowly opened the door outward towards him. He wasn't sure what he was expecting to see when he opened the door. But if he ever did use his imagination, it was nothing like what he actually saw.

There in the dimly lit shed was Zayn looking dazed and very weak with an awfully swollen and bruised face. He also looked as if he wanted to say something but the tape was covering his mouth. And since his wrists were cuffed and taped as well as his ankles, he couldn't even reach out for Harry even if that was what he was trying to do.

Harry ran over to him, sat the bolt cutters down on the bed and started to undo the tape from his mouth. It was painful for Zayn, especially now that his beard had grown in quite a bit. So he winced the whole way through. But when it was off, he still said the first thing he could think of.

"He killed her. He killed Kelly. I think he wants to kill me too."

"Not as long as I'm here, he won't. I promise you that. Hold on. Let me get you out of all this."

Taking the tape off Zayn's wrists and ankles was just as painful and Harry was so angry that he had to hurt Zayn first before he could help him when he had already been through enough. Nevertheless he was able to remove all the tape. Then he reached into his pocket and took out the handcuff key.

"Where'd you get a key?"

"I'll tell you later."

He pushed it into the keyhole, then began to toggle with it. It turned out that practice with Amos' cuffs earlier really worked. Because they were unlocked and off Zayn's wrists in no time. Zayn slowly let his arm down and grasped his wrist with his hand. It felt so good to be free. But he'd been in those cuffs so long that he could still feel it.

"I'll carry you out." Harry said as he attempted to grab him.

But Zayn shooed him away. "No. Don't. I've got it."

"No you don't, Zayn. You're weak right now."

"I'm not."

"Are you sure?" He knew Zayn wasn't but clearly in this state Zayn did not want to be touched.

"I'm sure."

"Well at least let me help you then."

"Okay."

He helped Zayn stand up from the bed and tried to get a steady hand on him. But Zayn took a step forward before Harry could grab the bolt cutters and fell forward towards the wall of tools, knocking a few down in the process.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked in a panic. And as he said that, the sound of a gunshot could be heard outside the shed. He gasped and looked down at the man at his feet. That gunshot sounded close. Whoever Amos was talking to probably shot him. Their plan must've been blown.

Fearing he or Zayn was next, he scooped Zayn up and put him back on the bed so he didn't have to lie on the hard floor. As much as he wanted to take Zayn and run, there was no way he was going to be able to get out of there in time. So he knew what he had to do. He was going to have to stand up for himself and his husband. He was going to have to fight for their lives.