Chapter 22

I woke up feeling something I haven't felt in years. I was genuinely happy.

I felt unapologetically happy. Without even looking in a mirror, I knew I was wearing the goofiest of smiles on my face. After walking to the bathroom, it was confirmed. I was smiling ear to ear, like a teenager with a crush.

Layla: "Layla, this is so shameful, stop smiling like that." I scolded myself in the mirror.

Subsequently, I completely ignored my counsel and continued floating around the room, getting ready for the day. I put on a simple tee and slip into some jeans before leaving the room. Slid under my door was a note.

Layla,

By the time you read this, I'll be on a flight to LAX. I arranged with Uncle to accommodate you for as long as you need, so don't feel pressured to leave. I'm glad I met you and thanks a million for stopping that mugger from stealing my bag. We should keep in touch. You have my number, so don't be a stranger. Until we meet again, be safe! I hope to see you at my wedding with a certain someone.

P.s Uncle is single.

Chisato

I let out an involuntary giggle as soon as I read the last sentence. I chuckled to myself as I exited the room.

I walk down the hallway, smelling something delicious. I quickened my step, eager to find the source of the smell that made my mouth water. I stopped at the end of the hall when I caught sight of Naoto cooking.

Naoto: "Oh, you're awake. Good morning." he said when he noticed me.

Layla: "Good morning." I greeted him.

Naoto looked over at me for a bit before he picked up a piece of paper from the counter.

Naoto: "Let me guess you got one of these too." he said, holding up the paper for me to see.

Layla: " Uh... Yeah, I did," I said, playing with Chisato's note in my hand.

Naoto: " I'll trade you mine if you give me yours." he said before he turned off the stove.

Layla:"Um...Deal." I said, hurrying over to him.

After a quick trade, we before turned slightly away from each other to read the notes.

My dearest uncle,

Change of plans. David called last night, letting me know that all the remodellings to our house are over. So by the time you read this, I'll be on a plane to LAX. Thank you for everything, Uncle. I appreciated your hospitality, and I hope you can extend that hospitality to Layla. Please let her stay with you as long as she needs to. She seems to be a very considerate person, so I'm sure she will not cause any trouble. You need someone to come home to or at least something, so make sure to feed him. He's potty-trained, so you don't have to worry about that. I love you, uncle. Stay safe, eat well, and take care of yourself until I see you again. Uncle, you better bring a date for my wedding.

P.s I think Layla is single.

Chisato

After letting out a chuckle, we looked over at each other, both knowing why the other laughed.

I smiled before handing him back his note from Chisato. he did the same.

Layla: "What did she mean by 'make sure to feed him?'" I questioned.

Naoto didn't say a word. He just pointed to a couch in the living room. A little white puppy slept soundly on a tattered couch cushion, fluff all around it.