Chapter 28

After eating, cleaning out my inbox, and sending Evan and Caroline the revised versions of my articles, I laid on the couch completely drained for the day. I blankly stared into nothingness until my notification chimed 'Unread message from Naoto'

Naoto
Hey

Layla
Hey

Naoto
Wow, you actually responded this time.

I sighed and rolled my eyes when I remembered the last time he texted me. ' I mean you leave a man on 'read' once and now all of a sudden you're a bad person.' I thought before replying.

Layla

Haha, very funny. I told you why I didn't last time. Btw shouldn't you be knee-deep in materials and meetings?

Naoto

I am. I'm just really good at multitasking.

What are you doing now?

Working?

Layla

I'm all done with work for the day. Mochi and I are thinking of getting a drink after work. Did you want to come? Lol

Naoto

I see. So, does that mean I should cancel our date tonight?

Layla: "Date?" I exclaim. "Oh god, he was serious?" I said, panicked at a simple four-letter word. 'Be cool, Layla.' I thought, then replied.

Oh yeah, our date. I texted then backed it out.

Layla: "No, no, no, that won't work." I said, trying to find something to say.

After four or five failed attempts to respond to his text, the phone began to ring.

Layla: "Oh, Mochi, he's calling!" I said to Mochi as he chewed on his toys, completely ignoring me.

Quickly sitting up, I cleared my throat then answered.

Layla: "Hello?" I answered.

Naoto: "Hey, are you alright?" He asked.

Layla: "Yeah, why do you ask?" I said, trying to seem nonchalant.

Naoto: "You were taking a while to respond," He paused. "I assumed you were either giving me the cold shoulder again, or you were trying to stop the dog from eating another cushion."

Layla: "Oh, is that why you called." I laugh. "I wasn't ignoring you." I briefly paused. " I was having trouble putting into words that I didn't realize you were serious about taking me on a date."

Naoto: "Layla, why would I not be serious about taking you on a date." He asked, confused by my response. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a guy likes a girl, he usually asks her out on a date, right? He asked.

Layla: "Yeah, I guess so." I said, trying to figure out where he was going with this.

Naoto: "Yes, and if the girl feels mutual, she agrees to the date, so are you subtlely trying to tell me you don't, like me?"

Layla: "No, that's not what I'm trying to say at all." I refuted. "I like you a lot. It's almost impossible not to." I quickly rattled off before I realized what I said.