Chapter 39

Halfway dead, I dragged myself to the tub and ran a bath, knowing I desperately needed to soak. Melting into the water, I sighed so deep I thought one of my lungs would collapse. Finally, relaxing for the day, I sunk lower into the tub and drew little circles on the water's surface until my phone rang.

Layla: "Hello." I said, hanging halfway out of the tub.

Crystal: "Hey." A familiar voice answered.

Layla: "Crystal? Hey, how are you?" I said, shocked she was on the other end of the call.

Crystal: "I'm alright. You?" She replied.

Layla: "Well, I'm still breathing, so that has to count for something." I said, thinking about the day I had.

Crystal: "Yeah, it does. Um, what are you doing tonight?" She asked.

Layla: "That depends. Why do you ask?" I said curiously.

Crystal: "I was wondering if you wanted to come over to my place so we can talk more." She asked.

Layla: "I would love that." I said excitedly.

Crystal: "Great. Where should I pick you up?" She asked.

Layla: "I'll text it to you." I replied.

Crystal: "Ok, bye." She said.

Layla: "Bye-bye." I said, ending the call.

Maybe it was the excitement of going to talk to Crystal that had me floating around, but all my tiredness dispersed, and I dressed lightning fast. Leaving my room, I noticed Naoto's door was still closed. When I came home from EXPG, I was so tired I had forgotten that I hadn't seen Naoto all day. As I looked at his closed door, the same feeling I had this morning came over me again. Knowing Crystal would be outside soon, I decided to leave a note for him.

Hey, Naoto I hope you're ok. I couldn't tell if you were in your room, or if you left early this morning. I'm worried about you. I wasn't too sure if you ate today, so I left over some of my lunch on the counter in case you hadn't. If possible, could you send me a text letting me know you're ok? I'm heading out for a while and will be back soon.

Layla

Putting the note on the counter next to my leftovers, I headed to the door to meet Crystal. Before I could close the door, Mochi's whimpers stopped me in my tracks.

Layla: "Oh, sugar, don't cry. I got to go." I said in a baby voice.

No matter how much I pleaded and tried to distract him with toys, Mochi wasn't happy. He continued to whimper until I broke down and asked my sister if I could bring him with us. After seeing his sweet little face, she agreed.

The drive to Crystal's place wasn't too long. We pulled in and parked outside a beautifully renovated, old Japanese style house. It wasn't as big as Naoto's, but it sure as hell wasn't small. I couldn't lie the amount of time someone has taken me to another beautiful and big house in Japan, you would think I would stop being starstruck, but nope I guess not.

Layla: "I love your house. It's gorgeous!" I said, putting Mochi down to run around once I entered. "How long have you lived here?" I asked.

Crystal: "Three years." She said, picking up a few cat toys off the floor.

Layla: "Did you have to sell an organ on the black market to afford it?" I said, looking around the place.

Crystal: "No." She chuckled. "The house belonged to a dear friend of mine. He left it to me when he passed away."

Layla: "Oh my, I'm sorry to hear about your friend."

Crystal: "It's ok. He passed away peacefully and on his own terms, and that's a lot more than most people get." She said, looking slightly melancholy. "Can I get you something to drink?" She said, walking into her kitchen.