Chapter 24

Layla POV

As we perused the store, Naoto's phone rang. Without looking at who it was, he dismissed the call and kept going through the clothes on the rack. He did this twice, each time paying less and less attention to who was calling.

Layla: "Jeez, it's starting to feel like a call center in here." I joked.

Naoto chuckled to himself, shaking his head as he lowered the volume of his phone before he put it away. His phone continued to vibrate in his pocket as he actively ignored it. I tried to do the same, attempting to adopt his 'nonchalant' attitude.

Layla: "By the way, thanks for today. I know you're very busy, but it has been fun spending time with you." I smiled to myself. "Although, I have a feeling you're going to get no sleep tonight. You're probably going to be working till the crack of dawn." I said, recalling his sleeping habits.

Naoto: "Actually, I won't. I'm going to an event tonight."

Layla: "Oh, really? Good for you." I said, happy to hear. "Wait a minute, are you going to be working at this event?" I questioned.

Naoto: "No, I'm not." he chuckled.

Layla: "Wow. Mr workaholic not working. That's a first." I said, shocked. "Oh, I get it, hell froze over, didn't it. That's why you're taking a break." I said, taking a crack at him.

Naoto: "Ha." He gave me a pity laugh. "Seriously, is my reputation that bad?"

Layla: "I mean, from what I've seen... yeah." I said, bursting his bubble. "Either way. I hope you enjoy yourself tonight."

Naoto: "Thanks." He said before pausing for a bit. "Layla... did you want to come with me?" He looked over at me. "I was supposed to be going with Chisato, but that's no longer an option. Plus, I've already paid for another seat. It would be a waste to leave it empty."

Layla: "Ohhh." I paused briefly. "Yeah, I guess."

Naoto: "You sound very hesitant. If you don't want to go with me, you don't have to."

Layla: "It's not that. It's just that, unfortunately, if the dress code isn't pantsuits or pyjamas, I got nothing." I said, remembering what I packed.

Naoto: "Oh, I see. That's an easy fix." He said, pulling his phone that hadn't ceased to stop vibrating out of his pocket. "There should be something in here you could wear. You should take a look around. You should be able to find two dresses here." He said, turning his phone off before he returned it to his pocket.

Layla: "Two? Is this a two-day event?" I asked, wondering why I needed two dresses.

Naoto: "No, one dress is for the event tonight, and the other is for our date tomorrow." He said, casually combing through another clothes' rack.

Layla: "Date?" I said, hung up on how easily he slid it into the conversation.

Naoto: "Yeah." he quickly looked over at me before he continued walking around the store.

Layla: "You mean....like a date-date or like just a date?" I asked.

Naoto: "Is there a difference?"

Layla: "Well, yeah, if you look at it in a certain light."

Naoto: "Which one is the one where I take you out to a restaurant, we enjoy ourselves, and after I walk you to my door, who knows... maybe I get a kiss."

Layla: "That's a date-date."

Naoto: "Good then that one. So all you need is something to wear and we..." Before he could finish his sentence, one of his bodyguards interrupted.