Chapter 27

Layla POV

'Woah, when did I doze off?' I thought, looking up at the ceiling. Stretching and rolling to one side, I snuggled in the sheets, not ready to wake up. My snuggle bug moment was cut short by a ray of sun that shone on the necklace Naoto bought me. The beam of light cast a calming green glow as it hit the emerald gem.

'So, I wasn't dreaming.' I thought, looking at the necklace, recalling all the sweet things Naoto said to me last night.

I smile to myself, thinking of a future with him. Catching myself, I abruptly sat up and shunned the thought out of my head. ' How old are you, Layla? Thirteen? What are you going to do now, start writing his name in your notebook?' I thought, putting my thoughts into perspective. 'How childish. I supposed you think you're going to get married and live happily ever after too. Please, as if.' I said, getting real with myself. 'I don't know what kind of sick fanfiction world you think you're living in, but this is real life. After this business trip is over, you're going back to your regularly scheduled program. Work, home, work, and maybe sleep.' I thought, getting up and heading into the bathroom. 'Speaking of work, how about I do some before being unemployed becomes the only thing on my mind.' I thought, getting into the shower.

Now fresh and clean with a clear mind, I walked into the living room to a charming sight. Naoto and Mochi, looking at each other, Naoto with his hands clasped behind his back and Mochi sitting down, looking up at Naoto with a piece of the couch's cushion in his mouth.

Layla: "Oh, lord, don't tell me he chewed up another cushion." I said, already knowing the answer.

Naoto: "Okay, then I won't tell you." He said, looking at me slightly defeated.

Layla: "Mochi bear, you can't destroy daddy's cushions. You're not helping me persuade him to love you. Don't make me pull all the weight." I said in my baby voice as I watched him happily trot over to me. "I should have named you Chewy instead." I crouched down to pet him.

Naoto: "I think his chew toys are in your room." Naoto said, walking over to me.

Layla: "Oh yeah. I forgot to take them out of the bag yesterday." I said, remembering where they were. "Aw Mochi, I forgot to give you your toys," I said, picking Mochi up in my arms. "And to think we bought them to avoid throwing away another torn up cushion," I said, looking at Naoto.

Naoto: "Yeah, well, I hear first-time parents make mistakes, so this is just a learning curb." He smiled. "Good morning, by the way."

Layla: "Good morning." I smiled. "Did you get something to eat already?" I asked. "I could make you something."

Naoto: "Thanks. I appreciate your offer but, I'm heading out now. I'll grab something while I'm out. I just stopped to write you a note before I realized what the dog was doing."

Layla: "A note? What was it going to say?" I asked.

Naoto: "Oh, I wanted to let you know that I'll be out all day. If you need anything, call me. Also, I left my laptop on the table for you in case you need to work."

Layla: "Are you sure you want to trust me with your laptop after last time?" I asked.

Naoto: "I'm positive, I saved everything on to my cloud, so you should be safe to work to your heart's content."

Layla: "If I'm working, my heart will never be content. but thank you."

Naoto: "No problem. I'll get going now." He said, backing away.

Layla: "Alright, have a good day. Bye-bye." I said, waving Mochi's paw at Naoto, to which he just shook his head and smiled.

Naoto: "Oh, before I go, there's a spare key and the code to the gate on the table by the door, in case you want to leave the house."