Chapter 31

Naoto POV

Thoughts of Layla kept me up after tucking her in last night. My mind couldn't get over how amazing she looked in that dress, with all her curves and those full tempting lips. Her in that dress was more than enough to kill a man, and it almost did. My heart had gotten used to skipping a beat when she is around, but last night was the first time both my breath and heart stopped because of her. Standing next to me, dripping from head to toe, the dress that gave me so many problems that night was clinging to her wet skin. This image was now permanently engraved in my mind. It was funny how peacefully she slept on the way back, while my mind went over how badly I wanted to finish what we had started at the restaurant.

When I woke up, I laid in bed a bit longer than usual, thinking about last night. It had been a while since I had gone on an actual date. I hadn't enjoyed the company of a woman in a long time. Which in retrospect, I didn't mind. Luckily my career kept me occupied enough that I rarely noticed the lonely nights. Although I had occasional one-night stands and friends-with-benefits, especially when the nights were too long, they didn't last because I never let them. Each time, I made sure to keep everything purely physical, just something to hold me over until I could find someone worth my time and energy. I started to worry that maybe no one could fill the space left in my chest. I was still dealing with the emotional baggage left at my door the night Tori ran out. Effortlessly Layla became a breath of fresh air, filling my crushed lungs from years of self-damning asphyxiation due to what happened to Tori. Who knew the cure to my pain and despair would be her. Somehow, Layla has made mornings the best time of day. Knowing when I wake up, the minute I see her, she'll find a way to surprise me in a strange and lovely way. Even though her love for my newfound nemesis, Mochi, was slightly unhealthy, I enjoyed seeing it. It showed me a glimpse of how much love she had and made me wonder if she could ever share some of it with me.

Eager to see her, I got up, bathed, dressed, and headed out to get a glimpse of her before heading out to work. I opened my door to the sound of the dog barking incessantly. 'Oh great, the dog found another way to torture me.' I thought, trying to locate him. He was in Layla's room next to her bed, barking to wake her.

Naoto: "Hey, stop that. You're going to wake her up." I said, shooing him away.

Mochi ignored me, continuously barking, trying his best to get on to the bed.

Naoto: "Stop it, seriously, don't wake her." I said, picking the dog up to stop him from barking. "What's wrong with you? You usually don't bark this much." I said, picking up Layla's habit of talking to the dog.

I looked back at Layla, who, strangely enough, hadn't budged from all the racket. She was deep asleep. The closer I looked at her, the more I realized little sweat beads above her furrowed eyebrows. I quickly put the dog down to investigate. Layla's forehead was burning hot, and so were her cheeks. I pulled back the quilt I had tucked her in last night and realized Layla was in the same outfit from our date, which was still damp as she laid unresponsive, running a high fever. After failing to wake her, I called my doctor, worried. When he picked up, I quickly relayed her symptoms. Layla's breaths were quick and shallow, she was sweating, and a slight rash had developed across her chest. He gave me a few things I could do to bring down her fever while he was on his way. My doctor told me if her temperature was above 102 degrees, place her in a lukewarm bath, to bring down her fever. Not wasting any time, I got my thermometer to check her temperature. I cursed under my breath when the thermometer read 103 degrees. As I ran the water for her, I fought with myself, trying to come to grips with what I would have to do. Before undressing her, I apologized, unpleased that this was my only option. After forcing myself to undress her, I lifted her and carried her into the bathroom. Placing her in the water, I kept my hand cradling her head before putting a rolled towel under it. I sat across from the tub, watching her and worrying uncontrollably.

While I worried over her, my doctor messaged, letting me know he was here. After buzzing him in, I dressed Layla in a robe, then laid her on the dry side of the bed so my doctor could do his job. Like concerned parents, Mochi and I paced the floor, finding comfort by staying in motion. After hooking Layla up to a drip and advising me on what supplements I could give her when she wakes up, he left. Even though he reassured me that Layla was going to be okay and that it was just a matter of time before she woke up, I continued to worry. Even though I knew there was nothing I could do for her, I stayed by her side just in case she woke up and needed me. Sadly although her fever went away and her heat rash disappeared, Layla stayed unresponsive for the whole day. As I watched over her throughout the day, I worked on my phone and laptop, with Tsubasa to get a few things done today. Thankfully working gave me a break from worrying about Layla. Fretting over Layla, working, and the constant sound of rain outside brought on a wave of tiredness. Unable to fight back sleep that was brought on by the lull of the rain, I closed my laptop, stretched, then picked up Mochi before placing him on the bed beside Layla.

Naoto: "Here you go, big guy. Look after her for me." I said, petting him as he laid down beside her.

After looking at her, I rubbed her cheek, kissed her forehead, and resigned to my room with a heavy heart.

Laying in bed after changing into what I usually wear to bed, pyjama pants, and no shirt, I listened to the heavy rain and thunder. "Wake up, Layla. I miss you." I said under my breath before closing my eyes to sleep.

My thoughts settled as the thunder drowned out my concerns. Before I could slip too deep into sleep, Layla's voice woke me up.

Naoto: "Layla?" I said, sitting up coming to my senses. "You're finally awake. Are you okay?"

Layla stumbled a bit as she walked into my room with her eyes closed and her hands over her ears. I heard her say something but couldn't make it out until she came closer.

Layla: "Mom, Dad, It's so loud." she said, flinching when the thunder sounded.

Naoto: "Layla? What's wrong?" I said before she crawled into my bed.

Layla: "Mom, Dad, please can I sleep with you. It's too loud."

Naoto: "Mom? Dad?" I whispered to myself.

'Is she scared of the thunder? Is she sleepwalking?' I thought, watching her cuddle up to me. She was slightly shaking and held onto me, resting her head on my chest.

I was defenseless, I wanted to wake her to stop her from nestling in my arms, but she looked so peaceful finding solace in what she thought was her parents' arms. In the end, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead, I embraced her, reasoning that I would lift her back to her room once she was fully asleep. I didn't account for the fact that I would fall asleep as well. It felt great holding her. She fit perfectly in my arms as we both found comfort in each other's bodies. Her slightly shaken body melted into mine, and we both drifted asleep as the rain's ambiance carried me away.

Who would have thought the first time I would be holding her in bed would be so...pure.