Chapter 25

Naoto POV

Naoto: "Seriously." I said, defeated as I looked at the number of notifications that popped up after I turned back on my phone.

78% of the unread messages and missed calls were from Tsubasa, my publicist. The poor man has always been quite intense, but calling my bodyguard to get in touch with me when I turned my phone off was a stretch. 'I go out in public with a woman after three years, and he acts like it was a pregnancy scare. I might as well have shot the prime minister I probably would have got a much calmer response. Either way, this is mild compared to three years ago.' I thought as I rested back in my office chair. ' That was a dark time.' I reflected, letting the memories of three years ago occupy my mind. Before becoming overwhelmed by the heaviness that settled in my chest, I pushed those memories and feelings far away.

'Nope, I'm not going to think about this anymore. I have the event to get ready for, and I'll be damned if I let thinking about the past stop me from enjoying my night with a beautiful woman.' I thought, repressing my thoughts.

Quickly checking the time, I got up and started to dress for tonight. It didn't take very long for me to get ready, I had already gotten everything together, so it was a matter showering and shaving. I arranged for a make-up artist and a hairstylist to take care of Layla. I figured they would take roughly two hours to finish, so I decide to work knowing Layla would be too preoccupied to call me a workaholic. Although Layla has a very mild demeanor, at times when she's right, you can see it written all over her face. Those small glimpses of sassiness in her personality are charming, and I find myself eager to see them again. I smiled to myself, imagining the face she'd give me if she caught me working right now.

I hadn't smiled this much thinking about someone in what felt like forever. Since the day I'd watched her dancing in the alley, she's found a way to make me smile. I'm not usually a man who believes in fate or destiny, but the chemistry Layla and I have with each other is unreal, or at least that's how it has felt to me. 'I wonder if Layla feels this way too?' This thought lingered until I began to focus on work while I still had time.

The time flew by, and before I knew it, the hairstylist and make-up artist were gone, and I was pacing, waiting for Layla to come out.

Naoto: "Did I tell her 7:15 pm or 7:50 pm?" I thought, hoping I told her the right time. Seconds later, the sound of heels clicking down the hall gradually increased until Layla rushed into the living room I was waiting in.

Layla: "I'm sorry. I'm here." she said the minute she entered the room. "I'm ready," she said, lightly panting from her little jog down the hall.

She stood in front of me, the epitome of captivating, in a beautiful black ball-gown. Her hair was in a bun with bangs that hung slightly above her bright raven eyes, enhanced by her eyeshadow. The strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline showed off her shoulders and made her breast more prominent as if they weren't already.

Layla: "How do I look?" she said, quickly looking down at her dress then back up to me.

'You look perfect, beautiful, amazing, gorgeous, stunning, ravishing, exquisite, like the woman of my dreams, will you marry me?' I shamelessly thought in succession as I looked at her. As I sorted through my thoughts and feelings, Layla looked up at me with hopeful eyes, waiting for a response.

Naoto: "You look... beautiful." I said, managing to save whatever bit of pride I had by going with the least startling of my many confessions towards her.

Layla: "Really?" she beamed.

I gave her a smile and a quick nod. Smiling, she put on her shawl, and we left.