Chapter 26

Layla POV

'Ooohhhhhh child Layla, you need to calm your ass down. I don't know who you think you are but girl you need to relax. Just because you're wearing a fancy dress, diamonds and you're here with a fine man, doesn't mean you can act all brand new, okay?' I scolded myself. 'Man, I hope Naoto's bringing back some hard liquor. I'm going to need something potent to make it through the night.'

I rested against a balcony, counting the seconds I was alone. Patiently waiting, praying that no one would come up to me while Naoto was away. I took a few seconds to close my eyes and catch a breather. A voice broke my momentary peace.

"Well, I'll be damned. Layla, is that you?" I heard man's voice say.

Way too thrilled to see a familiar face, I almost leaped into their arms once I opened my eyes.

Layla: "Katsuhiro!" I exclaimed, too happy to see a kind face. "What are you doing here?" I said, hugging him.

Katsuhiro: "I should be asking you the same?" He said after we hugged. "I thought Takanori was out of town. I didn't know he was back. Where's that rascal, he didn't even respond to my invite." He said, looking around for him.

Layla: "I'm not here with Takanori." I said, halting him from his search.

Katsuhiro: "You're not?" He said, confused.

Layla: "No, I'm not." Before I could tell him, Naoto came back.

Naoto: "How is it that you always find the prettiest girl in the room?" Naoto joked, putting his hand on Katsuhiro's shoulder.

Katsuhiro: "Naoto." He said, surprised. "About time, you showed up." He said, hugging Naoto. "Where's Chisato? I have a few pieces to show her."

Naoto: "She isn't here." He replied.

Katsuhiro: "You came alone?" He questioned.

Naoto: "No." He said, then handed me the drink he brought for me. "Katsuhiro, this is my date, Layla Kato. Layla, this is Katsuhiro."

Layla: "I know."

Naoto: "You do?" He asked, confused.

Katsuhiro: "She does. We met at my birthday party."

Naoto: "Is that so? Well, I feel late to the party."

Katsuhiro: "You should, that's why you shouldn't show up late to my parties." He teased. "So you both came together? How fascinating."

Naoto: "Oh no, what's that supposed to mean?" Naoto asked.

Katsuhiro: "Oh, it's nothing." He said suspiciously.

Naoto: "Nope, I don't trust that tone. I've known you long enough not to let that slide."

Katsuhiro: "Oh, don't be so overly paranoid, old chap. Why don't you be a gentleman and hold the lady's glass while we have a dance?" Katsuhiro said, taking the drink, I was happily sipping on out of my hand before he handed it to Naoto.

Completely ignoring Naoto objections, Katsuhiro led me on to the dance floor. With one swift motion, Katsuhiro brought me close to him, and we began to dance.

Layla: "I'm Impressed. Last time we met, you said you don't dance."

Katsuhiro: "Yeah, I said I don't dance, not that I couldn't. He said, leading me as we waltz. "So, Miss Layla Kato, what is it about you?" He asked, looking at me, not missing a beat.

Layla: "What do you mean?" I asked.

Katsuhiro: "Well, there has to be something I'm missing. You've been to two of my parties, which is not an easy thing. On top of that, you've shown up with not one but two Exile tribe members. My curiosity is peaked. Your sudden entry into the A-list circuit is peculiar. So, either you're a miracle worker, or I'm not as well informed about you as I should be. Which one is it?"