John Wick-Whatever It Takes

Once my door opened without me putting in my key, I knew something just wasn't right. My suspicions were confirmed when my three dogs weren't climbing over each other to get to me. To not alert whoever may still be in the house, I closed the door quietly and headed into the kitchen to grab one of the knives. The thought of having to use it made me almost hurl in the middle of my kitchen, but there wasn't exactly time for that.

     I checked the first floor entirely. No one was there, thank god. Then, there was the second floor. That's where my bedroom was and one of the guest bedrooms. Only two rooms to check. I could do this.

     I checked the guest bedroom throughly, sort of stalling the inspection for the next room. Then, I could stall anymore after the third check of the closet.

     I stood in front of my door and had my hand hovering above it. I slowly turned the knob and opened the door.

      "Surprise!" A deep voice shouted. I screamed and threw the knife before curling up into a ball. Then the word sunk in.

     'What kind of robber says 'Surprise?'' I slowly stand back up and see an anxious John looking at me. "John!" I threw my arms around his neck and had to keep from crying. "You're home." I pulled away and playfully punched him. "I almost peed myself! You scared me!"

     John just smiled and gave a soft chuckle. "Happy anniversary! It's been two years." Two whole years of  us.

     I smiled and nodded as I looked around. There were even rose petals scattered across the bed. My attention was drawn up to the big 'Happy Birthday' banner though.

     He looked in the same direction. "Okay. So, no anniversary ones were available, so instead I got one for the birthday of our relationship?" He was trying to make it work as best as he could, I'll give him that.

     I gave him another hug and then we started catching up. We talked about what's been going on in each other's lives from the past three months. From John having one-too-many close calls to death, to me getting promoted. John also informed me that he will be staying with me for an entire week.

     "That would be the longest out of two years." John  just smiled sadly at me. He was one of those guys who isn't really emotional unless it comes to love. Same with his words. Not too many come out at once.

     "I'm really sorry. You know I would be here longer if I could."

     I softly inhaled before nodding. I did. I also knew how hard it would be for him to even attempt to get back out for a second time. Not to mention he still has the whole world on his ass. That's why he was so insistent that I take four different ways every day to get to our underground home, and then circle it five times to make sure no one is trailing me. It seemed excessive at first, but when I was kidnapped on my second visit back to my old apartment to pick up some stuff, I quickly understood why it was necessary.

     "So a whole week though? That's exciting. You can finally get some rest." There was no denying he was tired. He had bags upon bags under his eyes. He just gave me another sad smile and a slow nod.

      We talked for another few hours and then each took a shower. Washing John's suit was definitely going to be a difficult task. It was caked in dried blood, not to mention the tears. I'll just sew it back up and then hand wash it. Or maybe I should wash it first so I can clearly see everything?

     I heard the bed creak as John settled on to it. I could tell he was sore and that some rest was well deserved. I put down his suit and then walked over to the bed. "How about a movie to play in the background?"

     John wasn't someone who could sleep for very long. It came with the line of work. If you slept for too long, or if you were a deep sleeper, you could basically consider yourself dead. It must be tougher than I could really imagine.

     I put on a random Disney movie and laid back. John slowly put his head on my chest with my help, and I started to slowly run my fingers through his hair.

     I had made my decision then. Whatever it takes for me to be able to stay like this with him every night, I'll be willing to do it. John probably won't agree with me on this, but once I bring it up, he won't have a chance to turn it down. I'm willing to do anything possible, even the impossible, to be able to go to sleep with him by my side every night.