Winston Connelly - Not the Medieval Ages

My knuckles rapped against the wooden door three times. I waited for a response or just a nose of any kind. Nothing. Silence. I let out a sigh. Why couldn't he wake up at a reasonable time? Every time he's late to get up, I'm the one who receives punishment for it. 

     Three more knocks, a bit louder this time as to make sure that he heard me. "Prince Connelly, I'm coming in on the count of three if I do not get a response from you." Still silence. My anxiety began to rise. What if he snuck out again? "1... 2....3.... I'm coming in!" I slowly turned the knob on the door before opening it. 

     I looked around the room, my eyes finally landing on the window. It was open. "Oh, gods no!" I ran to the window, peering out of it while fighting the curtains to stay up. My eyes swept across the beautiful garden in the hopes of finding the prince ahead of me for his breakfast. He complained last night that the dining room was a bit depressing to start his day in, so he wanted to enjoy his breakfast under the sun. However, he was not there. The wind felt restrictive and I clenched the curtains. Even though a beheading hasn't happened for over forty years, my head will surely be taken as an example! 

     I let go of the curtains and turned around, only to find myself face to face with the prince himself. I let out the beginning of a scream before his hand clasped over my mouth. 

     "Shh! Do you wish for another servant to come here and get us both in trouble?" His face was close to mine and I could smell the earth on his skin. "I will remove my hand, but you have to promise me that you will not cause any trouble." 

      I glared at him and nodded. He slowly removed his hand from my mouth and I gave him the hardest look I could manage. "Me? Me the trouble-causer?" He rolled his eyes, walking away towards his dresser, I trailed after him. "You're the one causing trouble for me, my prince. If my tone may be excused, you could have gotten me into serious trouble! Imagine what your father, the king of this country may I remind you, would do to me, a simple servant if he had found out that I had somehow lost track of you!" I put my hand up to my throat, the imagery vivid in my imagination. 

     "Oh, please. There is no need to get so upset and berate me in such a manner." His tone was playful, and our interaction was definitely not how a servant and a prince speak to one another. "Besides, your family has done so much for mine. They've served the throne for generations, so I doubt my father would be so rash. Besides, no one beheads anyone anymore. They haven't for years." 

     I huffed and made my way in front of him, throwing open his dresser drawers and pulling out an outfit for today. "Just because that may all be true, it does not excuse the fact that your father would have little to any reserve on the matter," I made my way to the door to call for the servants who would dress him, "And anyway, I'm not my mother's only born. Both of our parents would understand the decision if my job had been done so terribly." 

     Prince Connelly rushed up behind me, pulling me back into the room and closing the door, "My father wouldn't allow for such a thing if I opposed." Our bodies were pressed close together and I could feel myself getting flustered.

     I struggled in his arms, "My prince! Please! This is unbecoming of a prince! Especially one who is to be married in a short period of time!" I wrangled around in his arms, but his grip on me tightened. 

     Prince Connelly groaned and put his head on my shoulder, "Please do not mention that spoiled princess. She has every bit of modern technology at her disposal and feels like human interaction is secondary to anything at all. Besides," his voice got lower and I could feel his breath on my ear as he moved in close, "She is not the one I wish to marry." 

      I stopped struggling and went tense, my body growing warm with embarrassment. "Prince Connelly please! Do not say such irrational things! If somebody were to hear you-"

     "If somebody were to hear me say that I would rather marry someone I'm in love with, they wouldn't be able to fault me for it, correct?" I felt a gentle kiss on my shoulder and I jumped in response to it. "I have more of a connection to you than anyone else in this entire castle, in the entire world even." Another soft kiss was placed a little higher on my shoulder.

       "You have no idea of that; you haven't met everyone in the world." I started to struggle again, afraid of being caught by someone who possibly could be sent up, wondering where the prince was. 

     "Oh please stop struggling. If we get caught, then we get caught. Besides," his mouth was near my ear again, "I wouldn't mind if the world knew that you were mine, and mine alone."

     I felt his lips press against my ear and that was enough to make my body grow rigid again. "My prince, I must insist that you stop right now! I am only yours in the sense that I serve you, we cannot be anything more!" Lately, since the "date" the princess and him had the other night, the prince had been acting strangely. Usually, he was very shy and would never attempt something like this, but now... I snapped out of my thoughts to find the prince toying with the buttons on my clothes, and finally, I found the strength the break free from his grasp. 

     The prince looked at me, his expression playful, but mine was full of embarrassment. I felt like crying. His face softened as he gazed upon me, "My dear... what is the matter?" He made a move towards me but I backed away.

     I gripped my pants tightly and looked him in the eyes, "You're a bastard for playing with someone's feelings in such a manner! Excuse my language my prince, but the Winston Connelly I knew and grew up with would never do such a thing! To know how someone feels about you and to play with their mind like a toy..." I could feel tears pooling in my eyes.

     "Toy with you?" The prince looked thoroughly confused now, "What makes you think that I could do such a thing to you?"  

      "Oh please, you haven't shown me such affections before. You're just doing it now to mess with me, I know it." I was growing angry and tired. I felt like I was being a fool, crying over some prince who I knew I could never have.

     He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, his eyes closing for a second. "I've tried to say my feelings to you for a long time, and I meant every word I've said." His eyes fell onto me again and he quickly made his way over to me, embracing once more. "It's you I truly want to marry. I've always wanted to marry you, and only you. I decided during my dinner with the princess that I wanted nothing more than to be with you." His arms tightened around me and I felt a gentle kiss on the top of my head, "Please, accept my feelings." 

     I had nothing to say. In honestly, shock filled my mind and body. Maybe I was the fool for not seeing it. "And besides," the prince continued, "It's not the medieval ages anymore; it's not like we can't get married. I think you've read too many 'forbidden romance' novels." 

     I let out a short laugh and finally returned his embrace. "I'm sorry about my outburst, my prince... I felt flustered and embarrassed and... I've never felt good enough for you."

     Prince Connelly pulled away enough so that he looked look at me, making soft contact, "It's the other way around. You're the best person that I've ever met. You're not afraid to be yourself, unlike the stuck up, high-class jokers I'm forced to be around. Also, when we're alone, can you please call me by my first name? You're my love, I don't need you to be so formal with me." 

     I nodded to show that I understood, then my eyes went wide, "Oh gods! We're so late for breakfast!" I quickly pulled out of Winston's arms and rushed to the door, "Winston..." I hadn't addressed him like that since we were children, and the time that I yelled at him a few seconds ago. I smiled before continuing, "Please stop sneaking out. No one has been beheaded in a long time, but that doesn't mean no one will be." I quickly opened the door and called for the other servants before he could say anything. The servants came quickly, we greeted each other, and I walked out of the room without another word but I could still feel Winston's eyes on me as I walked off.