I'm going to replace you

"Yea I am a ok thanks for calling me dad."

            " Alright kid, I will see you as soon as the storm clears." With that he hangs up. Breathing a sigh of relief I look around the dark house praying the power will comeback soon. Rain still fell in a rhythmic way and I was more relaxed than scared.

            "Hey Nile what are we going to do now?" I ask crawling back into the fort. Only to find the once mute boy sound asleep. I watch the contours of his face quietly hoping to get a better understanding of who he is. However I guess I'm no Scooby doo. The rain slowly begins to lull me to sleep and not before long my eyes are heavy.

            "Good morning kid." The voice breaks through my dream.

            " Hey dad. Are you now getting home?"

            "Yup, they're now clearing the roads, but I walked home I didn't want you to be here by yourself again." At his words my eyes dart to the space next to me. It was now empty. I subconsciously run my fingers along the spot before turning my head back to dad.

            "Is the power back on?"

            "I think some neighborhoods have gotten it back, but we don't have any yet. Did you eat last night?"

            As if my answer would not suffice my stomach does the call of its people. It rumbled to inform every other stomach in the world that it was hungry. Shaking my head I follow behind my dad as he attempts to search for food. My mind wanders and lands on what seems like my favorite subject lately to the boy whose voice still intrigues me. I could not help but wonder when he left.

            "Hey go get ready we'll find food else where." Dad said once again breaking me out of my thoughts. I am going to need to talk to him about his beautiful timing.

            "I thought all the roads were blocked."

            "Just the side streets."

            "Are we taking my car since yours is at work?" I ask a question I already know the answer to.

            "No Manny we're going to levitate" He says sticking his tongue out at me. I guess guys really never do grow up. Rushing through my morning routines I make my way back downstairs in search of my phone. I'm pretty tempted to text Nile but he is probably in school right now. The phone lies on the floor buzzing like crazy. I'm not one to be away from my phone for too long so I guess whoevers texting me may be a bit worried. That little thing is like an extension of me it is my child. The screen shows four new text messages all from none other than Lex.

            ~So ur just nt gnna come 2 school? ~

            ~ Answer me Manny! ~

            ~ I'm going to replace you~

            ~Oh I see both u and Mr. silently sexy aren't here ok I see u~

            Once again I ask who is this girl? I read over her text messages two more times before replying with a simple "lol".  That should piss her off. An angry Lex is a funny Lex. I can't believe she called Nile silently sexy. Who is she?

            "LETS GOOO"

            "Dad you sound like a two year old"

            "I know you are but what am I?"

            "A two year old!" I retort and that earns me him sticking his tongue out at me again. This is going to be a fun brunch.

            The smell of eggs and coffee assault my nose, and my stomach decides it wants to cry out again. The retro diner was adorned with checkered floor tiles and red booths. There aren't many people just a few waitresses and about two customers.

 "It took us two hours to get to a diner dad, two hours. A diner might I add that is probably ten minutes away from the house." I say leaning against the counter partially pissed because of all the traffic and partially annoyed at the fact that dad knows almost everyone. So, when we passed by a person in a car he knew he talked to them for like five minutes. As if traffic wasn't bad enough.

            "Manny it takes you two hours to do your hair calm yourself." Turing my head slightly I gave him a look he knew well because it belonged to my mother.

            "Lets get some food in you kid before you kill me and anyone who looks at you. How you turn into such a monster when you're hungry is beyond me."

            The rest of brunch goes on without a hitch and dad and I actually had fun once I was eating. The drive home was just as bad as the one to the diner. When we finally pulled up to the house there was a familiar car in the driveway I quickly remembered my "lol" text and I knew I was about to get it. Parking behind the car dad and I exchanged a knowing smile and ran to the car. I was on the passenger side and dad was on the driver's side. We started banging on the windows on each side knowing how much Lex hated it. Screaming she looked at us. Dad made a dash for the house. Doubled over in laughter I did not realize she was headed my way until my back collided with the cobblestone driveway.

            "You know I hate that" Lex trying hard to hide her smile. She sat on top of me making sure all her weight was on my stomach.

            "I just ate. I am going to throw up all over you." I struggle out in between fits of laughter.

            "That's not the way gravity works my dear best friend."  She said smugly and that made me pinch her. With a yelp she leaped off of me.

            "Help me up you goon." I scream at her.

            Grabbing my hand she pulled me up and we ran to my room. Kicking her shoes off Lex jumps on my bed. Her hair is hanging off my bed as she holds her phone up to her face.

            "So you missed Sasha talking about silently sexy today."

            "What was she say?"

            "She was just talking about how much fun they had together and how they've been texting a lot." She replied checking my face to see if I was reacting. On the outside I was fine on this inside I wanted to slap a chick. At Marco's party they did not even seem like they were enjoying each other's company.

            "Sasha and Marco were joking about how every time he has a party she ends up with a new boyfriend."

            "Dumb hoe." It was the only thing that came to my head.

            "Ohh school tomorrow should be interesting you know I like a good drama."