You are a terrible liar

As if being at school was not bad enough being in gym class makes it ten times worse. The hideous orange shorts and grey shirt make me feel like a prisoner. There is no way anyone can make this uniform look halfway decent, and the smell of sweaty feet has taken residence here in the gym. Today's form of punishment is volleyball.

            "Okay you sad excuses for youth it is time to split up into teams." Mrs. McAlister says flipping through her clipboard. Adorned in the same tracksuit she wears everyday and her signature tube socks she chooses team captains.

            "Marco you will be captain number one and the second captain will be Sasha." Rolling my eyes I prepare myself for the next obnoxious thirty minutes of my life. As Marco and Sasha begin to pick people I pray for a sprained ankle.

            "Manuela." Marco says and I expected him to pick me. He winks at me as I walk over to him and stand with the rest of the team.

            After the last person is picked the game starts and everyone is on the court. Everyone minus Raquel who luckily has a sprained wrist so she's excused from class. Marco barks orders at us and part of me wants to ask him who he yelling at while the other part is trying very hard not to get hit in the face with the ball. Sasha bounces around all her assets saying hello to all the guys in the gym. Watching her reminds me of the conversation Lex and I had yesterday. The ball comes towards me, and in an effort to not get hit I hit the ball. It goes over and Sasha spikes it. "Dumb hoe" I think to myself. It goes on like this for the next twenty-five minutes until we are free.

            " Manny did you do the homework for English?" Beth asks me walking over to my locker.

            "Yeah it was just a reading and he'll probably pick on random people to explain it." I ramble on as I grab my books. I try to explain the English assignment as much as I can to Beth on our way to class. As we walk down the hallway whispers erupt and I give it no second thought since I'm walking with the schools gossip queen. We make it to class before the bell rings which is perfect because I don't need another tardy.

            "Fighting Bears remember it is that time once again. Homecoming! We are playing the Copperfest Cobras." The loudspeaker blare with Dylan's voice and his excitement makes me cringe inside. "Today is color wars. You know your colors so lets see your grade pride today judges will be walking around all day to find the most spirited person in each grade. Also, remember ladies and gents Friday is the homecoming dance gents get creative and ask that special girl." He finishes in time for class to begin to drone on.

            Mr. Walsh walks us through the assignment and we all pretend to listen. My eyes focus on the dark haired boy whose silence intrigues me. He is sitting next to Sasha and she is watching him smiling. I try not to be annoyed, but it is starting to get to me. Flipping her hair she puts her hand on his arm and I watch as he flinches and almost jump. I guess she really does have a magic touch. Can I call her a dumb hoe again? This day just needs to end. I try my hardest to focus on the lesson and not on the couple in front of me.

            "Nice purple shirt. I'm going to borrow one day."

            "Lex half of my closet is at your house already. So don't call it borrowing just say your going to steal." I reply.

            "Whatever. Are you ready to go?"

            " Yeah pretty much I have to just go check in with Nile and then I should be ready to go." I reply rummaging through my bag for my keys.

            "Oh can I come?"

            "Nope1" I respond far too quickly.

            "Look whose being a little over protective."

            "I am not. Bye now I'll meet you by my car."

            Speeding walking away from her I try to avoid any more questions. Nile opted to meet me in the library because he had studying to do. He actually texted me do I have the permission to fan girl? School at the end of the day was pretty nice. The teenage infestation has moved outside instead of in the halls so silence fell in the building. The library was on the other side of the building so it took me some time to get there.

            "Hey Nile." I say he looks up from his book long enough to nod in response, but he doesn't speak. I awkwardly sit there waiting for him to speak. When he makes no move to speak I force myself to try again.

            " Did you have a good day?" Yet again he nods. "Did you go to all of your classes?" He nods again. Okay now I am starting to get angry. He can sit there all freaking class and flirt with Sasha, but he can't give me a simple one-word answer. I roll my eyes, and go through the rest of the mandatory student guide questions to which he nods in response to all.

            "Okay Nile you seem busy and I don't want to bug you any longer so bye. I'm glad you had a good day." Grabbing my stuff I leave the library all the while mentally kicking myself in the butt. Why was I so excited to go see him? I walk quickly hoping to get to my car and drive off .

            The feeling of rejection sucks and I don't get how someone can have so much power over you that they cause you to feel something so bad.

"Manny you seriously need to relax you have no claim over that boy." I think to myself trying to calm my heart that's beating quickly out of anger. Today has just been a "piss Manny off by doing little" things kind of day. First Sasha, then Nile what can possibly annoy me next?

"You walk fast when you're angry." The voice comes out smooth and I jump four feet into the air.

"I'm not angry." I reply

"You are a terrible liar." Nile remarks matching my speed effortlessly. His two steps are equivalent to about six of my steps.

" I am not lying I have nothing to be angry about." I ramble.

"Okay if you say so. Now tell me why you're angry." Is this boy seriously asking me this question? Technically there is no reason for me to be angry at him. Ewe when did I become such a chick?

"I'm fine. Are you ready to answer my questions now?" I ask sounding a little harsher than I intended to.

Smiling knowingly at me he continues to follow me out of school. "So that's what has you all worked up?" He answers looking at me smugly.

I stop in my tracks to look up at him, which causes him to run into me. I did not expect him to be so close. His scent fills my nose. He smells like coconuts and I love it. Straightening up he looks at me his hazel eyes sucking me in.

"I am not worked up about anything." I say continuing towards my car. Before I see my car I see a crowd of people by car.

"Whatever you say Manny but just so you know I had a decent day, I went to all of my classes and yes I am enjoying my time at school so far." The side of his mouth twitches and I can see him fighting a smile, which causes me to smile. "There has been a lot of talk about this homecoming dance."

"Yea it is a pretty big deal around these parts." I say before I can stop myself. Who says around these parts? "Are you going to go?" Please say yes. Please say yes.

"Yes I am going to go."

"Do you have anyone you would like to ask in mind?"  Please say no unless it's me. I think to myself.

"Ye-"

"Manny come look at this" Lex interrupts Niles response and I want to kill her but I walk over to her anyway. She is at the side of my car where there is a bouquet of flowers next to the chalk writing that says "HOMECOMING?" my mouth fly's open and my eyes land on Nile. My smile grows as I wait for him to speak.

"Will you go to the homecoming dance with me?" Says Marco.