Fallen Falcon

"His been severely injured. He's currently in the ICU back in New York." 

Presbyterian hospital New York, ICU ward, Room 7; Samuel Thomas Wilson lays unconscious on the hospital bed. Barnes has not left his side since coming out from the operating theatre. During the 5 hour wait was when he called Steve; who should only be a few moments from arriving. 

Bucky sat with his head in his hands right beside Sam when Steve came rushing into the room. He looks over to Buck then at his fallen friend. "How did this happen Buck?" he asked.
"W...we were on a mission in DC. We got outnumbered. We knew you and Natasha were too far away, so we didn't call for back-up." He paused and took a deep breath in while looking at Sam. "I got pinned down by three of them. By the time I had got out of it. They...They had already shot him multiple times.". Steve sighed and sat beside Bucky and patted his back.
"It's okay Buck. Sam's strong. He will make it through this. Has a doctor come in yet?"
"I hope so Steve, and no not yet. Just been me here on my own. Wanda was here for a few hours so I could go home and change etc."
"Once the doctor has come, I think you should go again. You look like Shit Buck. You need Sleep. Nat, Stiles and I will be here none stop."
"Steve," Bucky replied with a worried tone.
"What Buck?" Steve replied softly.
"I've done this. Sam is in here fighting for his life because of me. I...if we would have called for back-up like he said this might of not happened." Steve pulled his best friend into an embrace.
"Buck this might have still happened. Don't beat yourself up, you did all you could; I'm positive about that."
"Thanks, Steve."
"Till the end of the line pal," Rogers replied with a smile.
"Till the end of the line," Bucky repeated.

The doctor entered about 10 minutes later. "Mr Wilson was shot 3 times. Luckily none were fatal and all were taken out during surgery. However, he fell to the floor very hard, hence the coma. This could affect his memory. We have no way of telling; until he wakes."
"Thank you!" Steve replied as the doctor left the room. Bucky then left leaving Steve alone with Sam. 
"I don't know if you can hear me Sam, but if you can. Be strong. Fight. The world is not done with Falcon yet. We all need you." Steve closed his eyes and soon after fell asleep.

He woke the next day to Stiles and Wanda entering the room with some breakfast and a coffee. Sam's condition had not changed during the night. It might not ever change. Steve and Stiles left the room as Natasha walked down the hallway with a big bunch of flowers. "How's he doing?" She asked. 
Steve responded, "The same condition. Wanda is in there." She nodded and entered the room. Stiles told Steve to head home and clean up. 

The next few days hell. Sams conditions went up and down. Sometimes they thought he was going to die; the next wake up. Tony, Pepper and Morgan were visiting today allowing Steve and Stiles to have the morning off. They started the day with bacon pancakes and a coffee, and well simply just sat on the couch binge-watching. They didn't even shower until late afternoon; in which they showered together. Stiles suggested going shopping to get some food for everyone at the hospital before going.

After spending way too long in Wal-Mart they finally arrived at the hospital. Tony and Steve went for a walk to catch-up, leaving Stiles with Pepper and little Morgan. He could tell she looked bored so he offered to take her on a walk to the park just down the road. Pepper agreed and off they went. They played for about an hour when Stiles got a text that they were getting ready to leave. As soon as they arrived back at the hospital Morgan ran into Tony's arms.
"What do you say to uncle Stiles," Tony asked Morgan.
"Thank you, uncle Stiles," she replied with a smile.
"You are most welcome little Stark."

Steve and Stiles sat in the hospital room. Steve thought it would be a good idea to plug in Sam's music. The first song to play was ironically from the Trouble Man soundtrack. Steve semi-smiled and sat back on his chair. A good few tracks later Stiles went to get a tea. As always he got sidetracked talking to some nice old man. 

Steve sat quietly listening to Sam's music when the beeping started. He immediately called for help and pushed the red button.
He was moving.
He was waking up.

Doctors came rushing in, pushing Steve to the side. Stiles had to wait outside until they had done all the full checks. "Took your damn time Wilson." Was the first thing Steve said to the now awake Falcon. 
"Well, your the one that thought me that sometimes patience leads to victory," Sam replied with a smile. Stiles was finally allowed in, he had time to go grab an extra drink for Sam. They sat and spoke for a while. Until Sam said, "Would one of use do me the favour of getting me some half-decent food. I've been eating from a tube for days."
"What do you want?" Stiles asked.
"I would kill for cheeseburger and milkshake."
"On it," Stiles replied, getting up giving Steve a kiss and leaving the room.

"You did it then?" Sam asked raising his eyebrows up at Steve.
"Did what?" Steve asked confused.
"The ring Steve. Stiles."
"Yeah. We were going to tell everyone when we came home. But as per things went south."
"Well, congrats man."
"Thank you, Sam."

They spoke for another half an hour until Stiles arrived with the food. "Sorry, it was so busy!". They all sat in silence munching on their burgers. Sam looked like he was eating a burger for the first time in his life; you could see the joy on his face with every bite. Stiles cleaned up the rubbish and left the room to place it in the bin. On his way out he passed Bucky who was coming to visit. They greeted each other and Bucky continued into the room. 

"Hey Bucky," Sam said as he walked in. Bucky didn't talk or move. He still had his hand on the door. 
"Buck, are you okay?" Steve asked. Bucky still didn't move instead he loosened his grip and fell to the floor. Steve called for help as he ran over to his life-long friend. "HIS NOT B...BREATHING." Steve started CPR immediately until a nurse and doctor arrived. They did everything they could right there in the room. But it was too late. 

His pulse stopped, and for a split second so did Steve's heart.

~~A/N: