Chapter 3 - Todoroki

Pov Todoroki
I entered the vip lounge after being scolded and beaten by my father in the men's bathroom. Second place. Pathetic. How dare I call myself a Todoroki with such a defeat? How dare I deny my father's will, refusing to use my left side? The part of me that is part of him... How could I ever live up to his ideal of calling me a masterpiece? Of being the next number one hero? A hero that doesn't win by default but crushes everyone around him.

Yes, the death of All Might left a cold stinging sensation in his heart, if he even has one. He used to be stuck at second place, but soon advanced to first. Yet it wasn't how he wanted it to go. He wanted to beat All Might with his own strength, not by death. Something snapped in him that day.

His rage fits became more frequent, his training became harsher. He started beating my siblings and I for the tiniest mistakes... His anger couldn't be satisfied. Only one of the reasons my oldest brother, Toya, ran away from home. He just couldn't take it anymore... And with a quirk like his, a quirk that damages your own body when you use it, I fully understand. Natsu stayed for as long as he could before going off to college, wanting to protect my sister from father's hand. Without succes.

I sighed, trying to keep my eyes open. Every time I close them, I can see it. My mom pouring hot water over my face because she can't stand the sight of me. My siblings being beaten in front of me as father shouts at me not to cry. Bad children deserve to be punished. I mustn't shed tears for the pain of others, certainly not when they deserve it. Everything that happens, happens because we deserve it. Never show emotion, never get attached, you don't deserve to have happiness until you reach number one.

It's like a mantra, beaten into my mind over the years. Forever repeating in my head with everything I do. But I don't want to become a hero... I don't have the desire to be number one... I just want to live a happy life... But I don't deserve it. I don't deserve such freedom... I'm a bad son for disobeying my father, for not wanting to use my left side in battle. As long as I refuse him, I don't deserve happiness.

Yet, my desire to make him suffer is greater than my desire for happiness. If I have to be the one to sacrifice himself so that man pays for his deeds, so be it. My eyes dart around the room, seeing the messy state it is in. Oh Bakugou, I envy you so. Being a walking arrogant pride parade, yet having it all. Now look at me, being stuck to clean up your mess.

I take a deep breath before getting started. I finish up soon though, because cleaning the house after one of father's rampages is something I've been doing since I was ten. While cleaning up, I stumbled upon a bright yellow shoulder bag. It's not Bakugou's, that I'm quite sure of. So it must be from that green headed boy. Midoriya Izuku.

As I take it from the ground, a notebook falls out. It lands on its back, opening by the fall. As I bend down to pick it up again, I accidentally read what he has written. My eyes widen in shock as I slowly grab the book. And that's how I discovered that the seemingly innocent plain looking Midoriya Izuku, is actually the Green Reaper, head of D.E.K.U. ...

My hands trembled as I read the detailed description of what he did to All Might and how he gained a quirk by genetically altering One For All, the only quirk that could be passed on over generations. When I heard footsteps in the hall, I quickly closed the book and put it back inside the yellow bag, draping it over my shoulder. I need to keep a good hold of this information. It could change everything!

"Shoto! Aren't you done yet?! Don't tell me you're slacking off!" father's angry voice boomed through the room, making me flinch back a little, as if expecting a hit. But Aizawa sensei was with him, so that explains why my cheek is still unharmed.
"I just finished up father, sorry to make you wait" I answered submissively.