Chapter 15 - Kiss And Make Up

Pov Todoroki
I was tasked to watch over Kaminari as he made his recovery from One For All. Today was Monday, he'd had a whole weekend to get used to his newly awakened powers, but that didn't mean he had a handle on them. Besides, he was the first to take One For All through the tube system, an experiment Midoriya came up with after seeing Shinsou and I suffer for a week.

It was supposed to make the process quicker, but the pain was much more intense. So much so that it had the potential to kill. We're lucky Kaminari survived in the first place, so I'm not complaining about having to watch him. He was wary of me, which was only natural, but didn't say anything about it. Actually he'd been acting off all day.

He was quiet, kept his head down, tried blend in with the background. Not his usual potent and happy self. Meeting the Green Reaper would do that to you... Even Iida isn't fully recovered from seeing him during the Hosu attacks.

Right now we all sat together at lunch, something the class did to let me feel included. They wanted me to be a part of the group now that my father wasn't holding me back anymore. They just wanted what was best for me, to see me smile. And it was working...
"Hi guys! Mind if we sit with you?"
I looked aside to see Midoriya and Shinsou, the latter avoiding eye contact of any sort with everyone at the table. I noticed Kaminari glance at him, but he quickly looked back down.

"Tch, do you even have to ask shitty nerd?" Bakugou grunted in annoyance, pulling the green head down in between us. The blonde had left an empty seat, not wanting to sit next to me for some reason.
"What about Shinsou-kun?" he asked, making the blonde growl.
"You can sit over here if you want" Jirou smiled, patting the spot between her and Tokoyami. Kaminari, who was seated at the girl's other side, froze up.

"Dude, I know your date went bad but don't let it discourage you!" Kirishima whisper shouted. Yet I bet at least half the table heard it. It made the electric user blush, hiding his face even more.
"Come on man, I'm sure it couldn't have been that bad" Sero added, also worried about his friend. If you consider he's still alive after walking into D.E.K.U. headquarters and bumping into the Green Reaper, than yes, it could've been worse. Although I don't think Kaminari will see it that way.

He felt betrayed. I couldn't blame him for that. His classmate and crush were both villains! You'd freak out for less...
"Uhm, Jirou? W-would you mind switching places with me?" Shinsou asked timidly, making Midoriya squeal silently. Did he push him to make up? I frowned, looking at the awkward and stiff atmosphere between them. I saw Shinsou move his hands under the table and Kaminari flinched. It was barely visible if you weren't paying attention, but I had some kind of idea what was happening. Hitoshi had given Denki a message, no doubt.

"So the exams are almost around the corner-" Izuku spoke happily, acting as if nothing was wrong.
"-and I heard from Shinsou-kun that Aizawa sensei plans on holding a training camp in the summer for those who pass"
"Wait, you have to pass to go on camp?!" Mina exclaimed in distress.
"Noooo..! I'll never pull my grades back up on time..."

"Tch, just nail the exams, they're not that hard" Katsuki stated.
"He does have a point" I added.
"Says number two and three on the class ranking!" Ashido whined.
"Todoroki, how did you get such high scores?"
"Hard work" I answered on a neutral yet serious tone.

"Bet Endeavor forced him to study everyday or something" Bakugou snorted.
"Kacchan!" Izuku gasped, hitting the blonde on his arm.
"No, it's fine Midoriya" I said with a weak smile.
"My father actually did force me to do that, it used to be one of my more peaceful moments of the day"

I felt a wave of pity hit me as I said that, seeing all those sad eyes look at me, wishing they could've done something to help me.
"You guys don't have to worry about me anymore, don't give me those pitiful glances" I said with a small chuckle, to let them know it was alright. That I've come to terms with everything that happened now that that man was behind bars. Yet there was still one thing naging at me...