Chapter 29 - Quirkless

Pov Kirishima
My family was all over the place once they arrived. The doctors finished up doing their tests so they could come in. My parents were overly worried while my twin siblings were destroying the place with their recklessness. They were 10 years old, always showing off their quirks and fighting each other. But I could see they had missed me as well and had been worried for my safety just like our parents.

We'd mostly just cried and hugged until the doctor came back with the test results. His face didn't predict anything good...
"Ah, hello Mr and Mrs Kirishima, pleasure to meet you" he smiled, shaking their hands before focussing on me.
"Well Eijirou, your results are back. You seem to be in perfect health, so that's good. But there is one thing we think is strange-"

He flipped over some papers on his small pin up board and adjusted his glasses.
"You told us you have problems using your quirk, correct?"
"I-I think they might've jammed it some way... I can't seem to use it at all" I sighed, looking down at my hands, trying to harden them. Nothing happened. I clenched my fists and bit my lip.

My whole life I've thought my quirk wasn't good enough... That it wasn't flashy enough to become a hero. I didn't have the personality to boost that dream either... So I died my hair, turned into this new version of myself. I tried to act confident about my quirk but that façade failed quickly. Yet now that it's gone... I miss it. It's part of who I am, always has been. And even if it's not as cool as everyone else's, I'm still going to try and become a hero with it!

"Yes, I see... Well, we ran every test we could think of and uhm I-I don't know how to say this but the result was always the same"
"What are you trying to tell us doctor? Our son is okay, right?" mom asked worriedly.
"He won't die, I assure you, but his quirk... It isn't just blocked, it's completely erased. Like it was never even there to begin with. All our tests indicate your son is quirkless"

What?!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...

He must be joking, right? This isn't really happening, I'm not quirkless, I HAVE A QUIRK! I have a quirk! I-I... I have a quirk, right? I tried to harden myself again but my body didn't seem to react to it. My mom had gasped and dad was listening to the doctor who was now explaining everything into further detail. I wasn't listening, their voices fading to the background.

So that's why he didn't kill me... He didn't take my life, he took my quirk... And with it, he took my status and my future, leaving me to suffer for the rest of my life. Quirkless. How would people react to that? Are they going to look down on me now? Well, the class and our teachers are okay with Midoriya so I shouldn't have to worry about them. But I also know a lot of people in my environment look down on the quirkless, as is the norm.

People even talked to me about the fact I was friends with a quirkless and I shouldn't hang with people like him. Will they let me fall now that I lost my quirk too? Will I still be accepted? Tears pricked in my eyes and I started crying silently. How can I ever become a hero without a quirk? Even if it's not a flashy one, it's better than nothing! Maybe this was my punishment? Maybe fate decided that if I was going to keep bitching about my quirk, I should just have no quirk at all...

I lifelessly stood up from the bed and mumbled I was going to get something to drink. Mom wanted to stop me but dad let me go. I wandered through the halls in my dirty clothes, which I've been wearing for a while now. I'm sure my hair has started to grow out as well. It was already showing a little even before all of this.

I sighed, pushing the loose hairs back on my head, lost in thought. But that was interrupted by shouting from the room I was standing at. Curiosity took me over and I glanced inside. The door was open, not my fault.
"I'm not going back there! Mom, I love UA! All my friends are here! K-Kacchan is here! Please.. Please don't make me leave again!"