Chapter 7 - A Pit Called Love

Pov Midoriya
I stared at him in shock. How did he find out? I'm so careful with hiding my identity! In all of my years as the Reaper, only one person has discovered my identity and lived and that's Todoroki Shoto. And he did so on accident! So how the fuck could he even think something like that?! Instead of answering his question, my eyes and hair started glowing a bright emerald green, making him take a few steps back. I broke his trance with a snap of my fingers, glaring at him. He was shaking in place right now, too scared to move or look away.

You've brought this upon yourself, Shinsou-kun...

"Now, before I kill you-" I said in a low growl, grabbing his face in one hand.
"-How do you know? Better tell the truth Shinsou-kun~ Or things will get messy"
"I-I heard you t-talking to T-Todoroki in the bathroom earlier" he whimpered, closing his eyes in fear of what would follow next. I groaned. Great! It was my fault! Again! Argh! Since when do I slip up this much?!

Ever since I reconnected with Kacchan, my head has been all over the place! It's like I can't even think straight anymore! So frustrating! I took a deep breath, letting go of Shinsou, who fell to the ground. I let the glow die down and ran a hand through my hair.

"Listen up, I really don't want to kill you, you know? But I can't have you knowing about me either... Damnit! Just when I thought I finally had a friend! You know how hard it is to fit in when you're quirkless? Do you have any idea how difficult it is for me to go to school, knowing even the teachers look down upon me? You were my first real friend after Kacchan! I-I don't want to lose you, Hitoshi!"

Tears stang in my eyes and I clenched my fists.
"But I guess it just has to be done..."
"N-no... No, please, d-don't!" he squeaked, backing away until his back hit the wall.
"Don't beg for your life. It only makes this harder on the both of us" I hissed, kneeling down in front of him, my hand now on his chest.

"You know... Normally I like people to beg... But normally I enjoy the thrill of the kill as well. I guess being a villain comes with ups and downs, am I right?"
I activated my powers, letting a green glow engulf my hand. My eyes and hair started glowing as well, it's part of my transformation.
"If you were anyone else, I would ask you a very simple question right now. What reason do you have to stay alive?"

I looked up at his face, seeing he was crying, trembling in fear and terror.
"Come on, don't be shy~ You can tell me Shinsou-kun~"
"I-I... Y-you... You're still my friend, Midoriya!" he choked out, shocking me.
"I-I want you to know t-that even now, w-when you c-could kill me every second, I-I'm still your f-friend... B-because the truth is t-that I didn't have any friends either before you came to UA!"
I sat back, removing my hand from his chest, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Oh God... I must be crazy!" he breathed, pulling at his hair.
"A-am I going insane? I-is that what's happening? I-I can't be friends w-with...with..."
"A villain?" I finished for him, making him whimper. God, he's scared... But not only from me, also from his feelings. He doesn't know what to think anymore. What to do, what to say... It seems like his world just came crashing down...
"You know... I can take care of this for you" I whispered, making him look up to me.

"I'm not really super sane myself, in case you haven't noticed, but I promise my intentions are pure... I just want equality in the world. A place where the quirkless aren't treated like outcasts and heroes aren't praised with money and fame. I just want a place where nobody is treated differently because of their background or things they can't change... You understand, right? Don't you want that too?"

"T-that does sound nice..." he whispered as I wiped his tears away.
"So what do you say? Want to help me change the world? Leave your mark?" I asked.
"B-but I don't... I don't want to be a villain..." he choked out.
"I-I'm so sorry Midoriya... I-I... I just can't. I won't tell on you, I promise. B-but I can't become the monster everyone thinks I am"