IV

Standing up, I walk into the yard.

Michael stands by the grill with Alex and his girlfriend, Florence. "Thanks for the head's up." I say with a nudge of my arm to his ribs.

"I'm sorry," he chuckles, putting a spatula down and taking his long hair into a bun. "I thought of telling you but I know you, you wouldn't have come."

"Smart lad." I smile, taking yet another sip of my glass. "Hey, Flo."

"Emi," she says right after pecking Alex on the lips. "How's work going? I read an article on Royal Blood the other day, pretty sick!"

"Thanks, I just snapped the photos." I laugh. "And you!" I say to Alex. "You haven't send me the ideas for the expo."

"I will, I just need a bit of time. The project's been a drag but I'm almost done." he says with a small smile. "Where's Eric?"

We all look around until I spot both Eric and Harry, standing by the entrance with Martin and a girl with jet black curly hair.

"Oh, that's Sophia," Michael scratches the back of his head. "We've been going out for a bit.."

"I know, Eric told me." Alex says with a nod.

Michael rolls his eyes, taking the spatula again to flip a steak. "Of course he did."

"So you're dating?" I ask, trying to look away from Harry though he seems very into conversation to even notice my staring.

"No, I mean.. I don't know."

"How can you not know?" Florence asks with amusement. "Does she know?"

It's safe to say Michael doesn't know shit but then he goes on to explain how they've been spending time together but without giving it a name.

"That's why I'm always clear from the start." Alex says with a sigh. "Saves you a shitload of explanations."

Florence laughs, "Oh, shut it. You were never clear about us. I had to practically force you to date me."

I laugh, shaking my head. "I hardly think so."

"Come on, let's get another drink." Alex swings an arm around his girlfriend's waist, pulling her close and taking her inside. "Want something?" he shouts by the stairs.

"No, thanks!" Michael shouts back. "So.. what's up with Styles, then? Are you on good terms?" I look at him with a frown. "Okay, luke-warm terms then?"

"He texted me a few days ago, tried to get us to hang out but I didn't reply but now here I am, at a barbecue with him around." I sigh before downing half of my glass. "By the way, this thing is really good." I raise my glass up.

"Sophia brought it." he nods.

"What's the deal with her then? She's stunning." I coincide right before looking at her direction. "Eric said you're having cold feet? What's that supposed to mean if you don't even know if you're dating?"

"Bloody Eric," he chuckles. "Well, I just don't want to get the wrong idea and make a fool out of myself."

"Why don't you simply ask her, Mike?" I suggest, taking the spatula from his hand. "Go on, do it."

He gives me a look that could only be described as 'are you mental?' but I ignore him, flipping some of the sliced eggplants and mushrooms around.

"I will if you talk to Harry."

"About what?" I snap. "He just made fun of Joe. I'm not talking to him, he's an arse."

"You knew that already," he laughs, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "His snide comments never bothered you before."