XXXIX

"What's that?" I asked, propping my head over my hand.

"A rhino." He said with that sarcastic bite I'd been growing used to.

I raised my brow, staring at him. "Just tell me, Ed."

He smirked, leaning forward and taking the chain between his fingers, holding the cross up for me to see. I took it from him, pulling it closer and making him lean forward at the same time. I could feel his breath fanning against my cheek but I didn't care, I was already used to him being this close to me, even if it was just us in the middle of the night, waiting for Mike and Alex to come out.

"It's really beautiful." I stated.

The cross was dainty but it had an intricate carving all around, the piece was heavy and busted down. It was like nothing I'd seen before, just like him.

"My mum gave it to me." He whispered closely to my face. "I've had it since I was two. It's the only thing I've kept for this long."

I realised by now that he was just an inch from me, so I let go. "I like it a lot."

"Thanks." He smiled a little, taking the chain and folding inside his shirt.

A few weeks later Harry lost it in a brawl he'd gotten into because of me. He kicked a guy in the balls for calling me slag for not giving my number out, they both ended at the police station and Harry's necklace was never found after that. I felt so bad when I found out, he tried to tell me it was alright and it didn't mean anything. I knew it did, a great deal, even though he'd never show it or admit it..

Harry stares at the cross hanging from his hands, it's got a similar carving like the one his mum gave him though this one is a bit smaller and it's silver instead of gold. It's the closest thing I could find to the one he lost because of me, so I'm hoping he likes it.

"I.. I got something written on the back." I whisper nervously.

His green eyes stare into mine and he's quick to turn the thing around. He doesn't say anything but now I'm freaking out because I have no idea if he thinks it's nice or just corny. I knew I shouldn't have put anything on it, it's already bad enough he lost it because of me, now this thing will only be a reminder of that.

"'Don't go loosing this one, Styles.'." Harry reads out slowly, his gravely tone dragging each word.

"Yeah.. don't." I look away, thanking the universe this room is the darkest of all three because my face is on fire.

Before I can even lift my head to face him again, his arm wrap around me, holding me tightly from the waist down. I stumble back until the wall stops us both from falling, Harry's eyes lock immediately with mine and even though there's no lights on, I can see the strikes of green in them. Slowly, he opens his mouth to say something else but then his tongue sticks out and he's quick to lick his bottom lip.

"Why did you do it?" He asks.

Suddenly, it's a bit hard to breathe, he's so close. "Did what?"

"After that day at your place.. how I threw your gift away.. I thought.. I just can't seem to get it right, do I?" he chuckles out, there's no trace of anger or that usually dark sarcasm in his words.

"Harry.." I chant, not even sure of what to say.

He leans closer, his chest pushing into mine until only our heads are apart from one another. My breathing has become ragged and I don't think I've ever felt more aware of my own body. There's an electric current running up and down inside of me, Harry's intakes of breath only take mine away and all trace of coherent thoughts have disappeared from my mind.