LXIV

She looks at me, grinning.

They've all been running around like three-year old's pretending to know something about football, Michael and Martin are having the time of their lives, Alex can barely fucking breath while Florence and Sofia chant excitedly how much they're winning at. Emilia's the only one smart enough to know the guys are shit at playing and they're only scoring because Matt has the coordination skills of a blind seal. But I can't complain, my girlfriend's excited smile, flushed cheeks and tousled hair is worth the hour I've been sitting here, watching them with a very loud cheering Eric next to me.

"Fuck this." Alex heaves, barely making it to the side of the field. "I'm done."

"You're whipped." Eric laughs. "You're so bad, mate."

"You suck. All of you." I chuckle, taking a swig of my drink.

Alex's wave us off. "Shut up. You weren't playing."

"My dear God, Alex!" Emilia runs towards us, patting the lad's back. "You're pale."

I open my arms, spreading my legs so she can sit with me on the garden chair. She complies, pecking my cheek as I hand her the drink I'd made for her, leaning against my chest she keeps taking the piss out of Alex and the rest of the lads as everyone finally decide they've already made a fool out of themselves enough. Matt flips me off when I tell him to quit trying to be a goalie.

"You should've played." he says, whipping sweat off of his forehead with the hem of his shirt. "You used to be good."

"Used to." Martin laughs.

Michael raises a brow. "Like you're any good, mate."

"Fuck off, you practically gave the ball to Sofia every time-"

"Alright, enough with the dick measuring." Florence chuckles. "Let's talk about tonight."

"What about it?" Emilia asks, handing me the now empty glass.

I look at her. "You liked it?"

She nods, leaning closer. "Very much. What was it?" she smiles, her cheeks bright red.

"A bramble." I reply but she seems clueless. "Gin. A lot of it."

"It was great." she shrugs, pecking my lips.

I watch her listening to everyone argue about whether we should make a barbecue in the garden or not, some want to dine out while others think it's time to go out to the town nearby. I don't really care what they choose as long as it makes Emilia happy. She's been sneaking early in the mornings to read from my journal and even though the first time I realised what she was doing I got too nervous to even move or tell her to read it another time, I think it's helped her see how much she means to me. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Something's changed about the way she acts around me, it's barely noticeable but I've known her long and well enough to know she's showing and giving me a part of her she's never had before. When we're asleep, she moves closer to me, she lets me wrap my arms around her and keep her against my chest throughout the whole night. The way she smiles when I kiss her, it's different, sweeter, more tender. What blows my mind is the fact that the other side, when she's cocky and cheeky, sarcastic and brazen hasn't changed in the slightest, she's the same headstrong, impossible woman I'm head over heels for.

I'm so fucked. So fucked and so in love with her. It's helpless.

"The barbecue then." Martin grins. "We'll need to get supplies, though."

"We can go." Sofia offers, sitting next to Mike.

"I want to go to town too." Florence adds looking at Alex. "Do you?"