XIV

My head feels like a ton of bricks by the time I'm done with the call.

Joe's got balls to call and try to explain himself out of this. I can't believe he's done it again, specially tonight, from all days.

"Fucking hell!" I whisper, feeling too overwhelmed by everything that's happened in the last two minutes.

But the truth is that I feel way more sad than I feel angry. I want to cry and that's not an option, not anymore, I can't simply just break into tears in the middle of my grandparents anniversary, specially because I know Theo is going to kill Joseph once he knows the real reason he bailed on me tonight.

"If you're gonna just stand there, I might as well join you."

Harry's hand presses to the small of my back, his touch is confident and the way he turns me slightly around so I can face him, messes wrongly with my head.

He looks so good. The black trousers are loose with a 70's-fit, his shirt is black but silky, it shines under the lights of the hall just like the many rings on every single one of his fingers. What I like the most it's that he's left many buttons undone and if I lean closely enough I can see the moth tattoo I've only laid eyes on once before.

"Sorry." I mutter, lifting the slit of my dress so I can stick the phone back into the holder on the side of my thigh.

I should thank Eric for such a strange but convenient gift soon. When I look back up, Harry's eyes are trained to my leg, and I feel it again. It's like a rush of excitement and warmth, it makes my chest heaven and my heart to stop working properly altogether. I'm not stupid, I know I am attracted to him, to my friend, but I cannot let it crowd my mind or let this feeling linger for too long.

But when he's looking at me like that, as if he wanted to say much more than he let's on, it's hard to control myself.

"Is everything alright?" he asks after a few seconds, his eyes finding mine.

Should I tell him? I really don't feel like talking about how Joe practically stood me up to go help his best mate with yet another mental breakdown because his girlfriend told him she's not marrying him.

"Yeah, everything's fine." I nod quickly, looking around to see the music's died and it's probably time for the speech. Shit. "I need some water."

I take his hand, ignoring how nice it feels under mine, and make our way to the bar. Theo's sitting with Grace by his side, she's really pretty and smart, I won't lie. She's nice too, at least so far.

"Are you ready?" he asks as soon as he sees me.

"Not really." I shrug and then remind myself I should introduce Harry. "Oh, this is Harry, by the way."

Harry nods, looking directly at me. "We've met."

"Yeah, I remember him helping you sneak out of our mother's house." Theo says with mirth, Grace smiles at the mention but says nothing.

"It wasn't sneaking if I didn't live there anymore."

Harry stands still by my side, looking back to the room filled with at least eighty people of which I hardly remember or know half. His jawline is prominent, the angle of it could cut through ice, for sure.

Focus, Emilia.

"A glass of water, please." I mutter to the bartender with a smile.

"You alright?" Theo asks with a raised brow, standing up and towering over me. "Where's Joseph?"

I feel Harry's hand tense under mine, which reminds me that I'm still holding it, so I let it go. "He couldn't make it." I saw quickly in the lowest voice possible.