𝐈𝐈𝐈

June 10, 2009

Isabella,

Thank you for writing. I can't begin to explain what it felt like to hear my name called today. Yours was the first letter I've received since posting the ad. Actually it's the first personal letter I've received at all. It usually takes a little more time for us to receive correspondence here, and I know this, but waiting was nerve-wracking all the same. So thank you again. You've made today one of the good days.

Please call me Harry. Mr. Styles was my father. Believe me when I say that I want to be nothing like him. People here address me by my last name a lot. I think it will be nice to hear my first name again, or read it anyway.

Wow, I apologize for my handwriting. It's been a while.

Music has been my saving grace. It's what I turn to when I want to get away from it all, which is pretty often. I used to go through a lot of paper, not so much anymore. My compositions have gotten simpler over time. I used to write full orchestra pieces, but now I stick to piano only. It's hard to create something without being able to hear the instruments. Ever. Most of it is probably crap.

Was there something specific you wanted to know about music?

I grew up in Chicago. I wasn't in Washington very long before landing myself here. Sometimes I wish I had stayed back home because I wouldn't be in here right now, but I'm sure I was heading for some place like this regardless. Sometimes I'm glad I ended up here. When it's cloudy all the time, I don't feel like I'm missing out. At least that's what I've been telling myself. I've never been to the southwest. Will you tell me about it?

This is strange. I feel like . . . I'm not really sure. I hope this letter doesn't bore you to death.

I'll be turning 35 in ten days, but I'm sure you've already done the math. I don't feel any older than when I got here. It makes me sad to think about all the time I've lost. I was actually really surprised to read about you. I didn't think I'd receive something from a young woman. Or is this one of those things where you're really a 50 year old guy? If you are, I don't want to know. Just let me remain blissfully ignorant.

Seriously though, you seem like an intelligent girl. I'm sure you'll have no problem graduating, especially if you're driven enough to spend your summer in a classroom. You said your professor suggested the program to you, does that mean you'll only be participating for the summer?

Thank you again for writing to me. I wish I could think of more to say. Hopefully it will get easier over time. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Your inside man,
Harry

p.s. What do you do for fun?