𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈

BELLA stood in her bedroom, studying her reflection in the full length mirror. Surrounding her feet was a sea of clothing. She felt ridiculous. She never cared this much about how she looked before. Sighing in frustration, she fell back onto the air mattress.

It's just Harry, she told herself. He sees you every day.

Bella didn't own any really nice clothing. Everything in her closet consisted mostly of casual shirts and jeans. She didn't think Harry was taking her anywhere fancy, but she still wanted to look nice. Bella looked at the clock. It was a little past five thirty—definitely not enough time for her to supplement her wardrobe with something date worthy.

"Bella, you ready?" Harry called through the door.

"Yeah, just give me a minute." Bella jumped onto her feet and kicked the scattered clothing into her closet, not wanting to leave visual evidence of how crazy she was acting. She took one last look in the mirror. What she had on would have to suffice. She adjusted her shirt. It was her first time wearing it, and she hoped it wouldn't be bothersome throughout the night. If push came to shove, she could always leave her jacket on. Bella dug through an old jewelry box. It had been so long since she'd worn jewelry that she didn't even remember what she owned. She put on a chunky necklace and matching bracelet. Then she decided it made her look ridiculous and took them off. "Screw it," she said and slammed the box closed.

Harry waited patiently on the other side of her bedroom door, holding a red rose. Bella was relieved to see he was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. At least she had the comfort of knowing she wouldn't be underdressed.

"Happy Valentine's Day," he said shyly, handing her the rose.

"You already said that this morning." Bella smiled and sniffed the flower. "It's beautiful. Thank you. When did you get this?"

"I went out while you were in the shower."

Harry let his eyes wander over Bella's body. She was wearing tight blue jeans and a deep blue shirt with a neckline in the shape of a V. It went low. Very low. The stark contrast between the shirt and her pale skin only helped to draw his attention to her cleavage. He wasn't as discreet as he had hoped, and Bella caught him staring.

"Do I look okay?" She resisted the urge to fidget with the shirt one more time. "I can change."

"No, you look fantastic." Harry let out a deep breath. "It's going to be hard to keep my eyes off you." As he said this, he realized his focus had drifted back to her chest. He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to clear the enticing visual from his head. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah." Bella grabbed her jacket and purse, and Harry led her out the door.

The night was chilly, so they decided to take Bella's car. Harry opened the driver's side door for her. She surprised him by offering the keys.

"I don't know where we're going," she explained. "Besides, you have your license now, and I'd kind of like it if you drove."

Once they were situated inside the car, Harry reached across the center console and took Bella's hand. A large part of him was waiting for her to withdraw and tell him she was having second thoughts about their date. Instead, when their fingers wove together, Bella held his hand tightly.

"I hope this is okay," he said when they arrived at the restaurant. It was a small café off the beaten path. The parking lot didn't look busy despite it being Valentine's Day. "I wanted to take you somewhere really nice, but nice places serve liquor." He shrugged, his voice barely audible.

"I think it's perfect. Have you eaten here before?"

Harry hesitated as he remembered having lunch with Eliza. "Yes. I came here with someone from work once. It seemed like somewhere you'd like." He reluctantly released Bella's hand so they could get out of the car.