𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

BELLA sat on the couch in her father's living room, chewing on her fingernails as she anxiously watched the clock. It was almost 11:00 P.M. He would be home any minute, and she still didn't know exactly what she wanted to say. A sleek, unmarked Washington State Patrol Volvo pulled up to the house, its headlights illuminating the room briefly as it turned in to the driveway. Bella took a deep breath, trying desperately to calm her nerves.

"It's me. Don't shoot!" she called playfully as the front door opened.

"I know it's you," Isaac Montrose replied. "I saw your car out front."

Bella stood and joined him in the kitchen. "Undercover today?" she asked as she watched him kick off his dress shoes and loosen his tie. It was a much different look than the French blue and navy uniform he sometimes wore.

"I was in court this afternoon." He turned to her and frowned. "It's a little late to be visiting your dear old dad. Don't you have class in the morning?"

"Yeah," she said nervously. "There's something I wanted to talk to you about."

"Must be important. You can always call the bureau, you know. They'll track me down."

"I know, but I kind of wanted to talk to you in person."

"Come on." Isaac placed his hand on his daughter's shoulder and guided her back into the living room. "Have a seat. Tell me what's going on."

Bella took a deep breath as she sat on the couch. She hoped he would take what she was about to say well. "Remember when I told you about that write a prisoner program my professor mentioned this summer?"

"The program I told you not to participate in? Yes."

"Yeah, that one." Bella hesitated. "I kind of did it anyway."

"Of course you did," he muttered. "Well, what's the problem? You're not in some kind of trouble, are you?"

"No, it's nothing like that."

Isaac crossed his arms over his chest and gave her a look that clearly said spit it out.

"He asked me to visit him, and I don't know if I should."

Isaac's eyes widened, and he struggled to keep his calm composure. "Do you want to visit him?"

"I think so."

"Where is he?" he asked between his teeth.

"Waterview."

"Waterview! Bella," said Isaac in exasperation, "not only did you go against my advice, but you wrote to someone local? God, please don't tell me you gave him any personal information. Does he know where you live?"

"No."

"The boy's in a state prison, Bella."

"I know."

"What did he do?"

"Assault," she answered simply. "I don't know the specifics."

"How long as he been there?"

"Ten years."

"Ten years!" he yelled. "How old is he?"

"Thirty-five."

"Jesus. Why on Earth would you want to visit him? What are you thinking?"

"I'm worried about him. He's having a really hard time, and I don't know what to do!" The conversation was taking an emotional toll on her, and she fought to keep her voice steady.

Isaac shook his head as he began to pace. He had always thought of his daughter as an intelligent young woman, and he couldn't believe she would get sucked into something like this. "These men—some of these men are nothing but cons. Manipulative scum. He could have five, ten, twenty young, naïve girls out there just like you."

"He's not like that."

"Has he asked you for money?"

"No." This time her voice wavered. She had sent Harry money, but that wasn't what her father had asked. She had a feeling that if he knew, he wouldn't approve. "This is the first time he's asked for anything. He's not using me." Bella barely got the last sentence out before the tears began to fall.

"You don't know that. You think you know him, but you don't. Did he threaten anything if you don't visit?" he asked. "Harm to himself? To others? To you?"

Bella shook her head. "No, he's just lonely," she sobbed.

As much as Isaac hated seeing Bella upset, it was more important to him that she was safe. "I'm sorry, Bella, but sometimes the truth is hard to hear."

Bella nodded as tears silently streamed down her face. She knew Isaac could very well be right—he would know better than anyone—but she didn't want to believe him. She didn't want to accept that Harry would take advantage of her kindness.

After a few minutes, Isaac broke the silence with a sigh. "What's his name?"

Bella pressed her lips together. She knew that Isaac, as Assistant Chief of the Investigative Services Bureau, could easily look up Harry's detailed criminal record. She knew it was ridiculous to want to protect him at this point—Isaac already knew he was in prison. Still, Bella felt a certain loyalty to Harry. She knew he wouldn't want a stranger looking at his file and prejudging him.

"Bella?" Isaac warned.

"Harry Styles."

"When is he getting out?"

"Next month, maybe. The parole board is still reviewing his case." Bella didn't add that Harry didn't think he'd be released, unsure if the information would make things better or worse.

"Hmm." Isaac nodded and gazed pensively at the wall. Not having been an active parent during Bella's childhood, and with Bella no longer living under his roof, he had no power to stop her from visiting the prison. He was also worried that any attempt to put his foot down would send her running in the opposite direction. He didn't know Harry's intentions, nor did he know what idealistic fantasies Bella was entertaining. The only thing that mattered to him was her safety. "Is it safe to assume my opinion is somewhat important to you, seeing as you're here in the middle of the night?"

Bella ducked her head and nodded.

"I can't stop you, Bella. I can only advise you against it."

"Okay."

"But if you do go—and I have a feeling you will—be safe. Is this address still on your license?"

Bella looked up at her father through her tears, wondering where his line of questioning was going. "Yes."

"Good. Use my address for any paper work you fill out. Be careful what you say while you're there. Don't give him any personal information. Don't send him money. Don't do him any favors. Don't do this because you feel obligated; only do it if you want to. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"If he gives you any trouble or if you ever feel threatened, I want you to tell me immediately."

"I will," she promised.

"Okay then." He pulled Bella off the couch and gave her a giant bear hug. "I love you, kid."

"Thanks, Dad. I love you, too."