𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈

WHEN Bella woke up in the middle of the night, she immediately sensed that something wasn't right. She sat up abruptly, and her eyes widened as she attempted to take in her surroundings. It only took a second for her to register that she was alone in her bedroom. The last thing she could remember was being on the couch with Harry, and she realized he must have carried her to bed while she slept.

Once her eyes adjusted to the darkness, Bella slid out of bed and slunk into the living room. Harry was fast asleep on the couch. She went to the kitchen for a glass of water before retreating to her room, undressing, and climbing back into bed. It didn't take her long to fall back asleep. She didn't awake again until her alarm clock went off at a more reasonable hour.

Harry was still sleeping soundly by the time Bella was ready to leave for class. She quickly scribbled a note for him and left it on the counter where he would hopefully see it.

Harry,

Don't forget to ice for 20 minutes every two hours. Both packs are in the freezer. I hope your day goes better. See you soon.

Bella

p.s. Call me if you need anything.

Bella only had one class on Friday morning, and by the time noon rolled around, she was more than ready to start her weekend.

"Miss Montrose," her professor called out as she was leaving. Bella stopped and begrudgingly gave her full attention.

"Yes, Professor Tanner?"

"Have you thought any more about the internship we discussed last week?"

"Oh, uh, not really," she admitted. "I've had a lot going on lately."

"I think it would be a great opportunity for you, especially since you're graduating in a few months and still undecided about your career path."

"You said it was social work, right?" Bella asked.

"Yes. It isn't for everyone, but I think it's something you might enjoy. There are many entry level positions available for people with undergraduate degrees in psychology," the professor said encouragingly.

"I don't know." Bella hesitated. "It's not something I really pictured myself doing."

"At least speak to the program director before you decide against it. Do you still have the card I gave you?"

"Yes, it's at home. I'll give her a call next week."

"You make sure to do that, and tell her I sent you."

On the way home, Bella's cell phone rang. It was Matt. He asked if he could spend the night. Bella was hesitant, but Matt assured her that he wouldn't be an intrusion and had already figured out an alternative sleeping arrangement. She agreed, and Matt promised to be over after he got off work.

The apartment was quiet when Bella arrived. Her note was gone, and one of the ice packs was missing from the freezer. Harry was nowhere to be seen. At first, she assumed he had left, but upon further inspection of the heap of blankets on the couch, she discovered he was in bed. She pulled the blankets down, exposing the back of his head.

"Harry?" she whispered. "Are you awake?"

"I am now," he grumbled into his pillow.

"Is everything okay?"

"Just peachy," he answered sarcastically.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Harry groaned but otherwise remained silent. Bella placed her palm on his back and rubbed gently. "Come on. Talk to me."