𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

"WELL, here we are," Bella said when they arrived at the building where Harry's group therapy was held. She was relieved to discover that the parole office—where she worried her father frequented—was within walking distance, and she wouldn't need to drive by it. "Do you want to call me when you're done with everything? We can meet at that little coffee shop across the street."

"I can walk back."

"Are you sure? I don't mind picking you up."

"I could use the exercise."

"It's kind of far."

Harry shrugged. "I don't have anything else to do, and I want to see what's around here. You know, for work or whatever." He sighed before opening the door. "Thanks for the ride."

When he stood up, Bella noticed a torn piece of notebook paper flutter to the seat. "Hey, wait! You forgot some . . ." Her voice trailed off as he closed the door behind him. She picked up the paper and immediately recognized his familiar handwriting.

Dear Bella,

I'm sorry about last night. I thought it was okay, but obviously I was wrong. There are no excuses— I was out of line. I have a long road ahead of me, and I know I'll make my fair share of mistakes, but I hope not to make any more where you're concerned. You've been a great friend and have already given me more than I deserve. Sometimes I'm not sure how to act around you. It was so much easier through letters. Promise to tell me at once if I do anything to make you uncomfortable again. I will try my hardest not to.

Harry

p.s. Are we okay?

Bella folded the letter and placed it in her purse. Regardless of Harry's behavior last night, she found herself wanting to trust him. She honestly didn't think he would hurt her, but she realized she might have to stay focused in order to keep him in line.

On the way back to her apartment, Bella stopped at a grocery store. She had no idea what Harry liked to eat, so she just doubled up on the usual. When she got home, she put everything away before flopping on the couch. Harry had insisted on removing the blankets so she could use it, and he went to so much work to organize the area that she almost felt obligated to sit there. Still, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was invading his space.

Her cell phone rang. From the custom ringtone, she knew it was Matt.

"What's up, ugly face?"

"Oh, looks like someone thinks they're a comedian."

"I do. Hey, I thought your classes started this week."

"They did, but I have Tuesdays off. What do you say we get some lunch and chill at your place for the afternoon?"

"Um . . ." Bella wanted to see Matt, but she didn't think having him over would be wise. She had no idea when Harry would be back, and she wasn't sure if the two men would get along. Not to mention she hadn't been completely forthcoming with Matt when she told him about Harry. "I'm not so sure that's a good idea."

"Come on! I haven't seen you since New Year's."

"I'm actually kind of busy this afternoon." It wasn't a total lie, but Bella still felt bad for turning Matt down. She missed her friend, and she really wanted to do something normal. "But I guess I have a little bit of time now. Why don't we go out to lunch?"

"Sounds good. I'll come up and get you."

Bella stood by the door, waiting for Matt to arrive. She wanted to get out of the apartment as quickly as possible, but Matt had other plans.