𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈

BELLA folded the most recent letter from Harry and carefully placed it back in its envelope. She set it on her nightstand before flopping onto the bed. She would add it to the rest later. Right now, she wanted to reflect on what he had written.

Harry always came across so sweet and kind in his letters. Of course, Bella understood written words could be deceiving, but she also felt that she was beginning to develop a fair idea of who Harry really was.

She believed he wanted nothing more than a second chance, and if given the opportunity, he would prove himself worthy of his freedom. He struck her as someone who was devoted to his friends, maybe even to a fault. It was apparent that he was grateful for the support she had shown, and in this last letter, she had really gotten a feel for how ferociously he would fight to make their friendship work. When he had said he wasn't the same man he was seven months ago, she believed him; the change was evident in the tone of his letters.

As she recalled his most recent words, her face began to flush. She had experience with boys-college kids her age-but Harry was in a class all his own. She had a hard time deciphering whether he was just very grateful for her presence in his life or if he was harboring romantic feelings toward her. He was obviously growing increasingly attached, something Bella had been concerned about lately. She could understand why. If she were truly the only person showing him any support, it would only be natural for him to cling to her. Bella liked being important to him, but she knew the level at which he doted on her was unhealthy. However, each time she attempted to distance herself, Harry managed to close the gap.

Her uncertainty toward his feelings only solidified the fact that Bella didn't really know him. The little voice in her head kept reminding her that, despite her gut feelings, Harry could very well be dangerous. She had a hard time reconciling the version of him she thought she knew with the young man he described himself as, who abused drugs, got into fights, and carried a gun. She had always been a strong believer that people can change, and she hoped this situation would prove her right. If she were to ask her father, she'd get a much different opinion. "People don't change," he always said. "Once a bad apple, always a bad apple."

Isaac wasn't happy about Bella writing to a man in a state prison, especially one who happened to be more than ten years her senior. Throughout his career he had seen the worst of the worst, and he held no illusions that Harry was any different. He also knew Bella was stubborn once she set her mind to something, and there was nothing he could do to stop her. Because she had promised not to make a hobby out of corresponding with prisoners, he decided to let her continue writing Harry without further interference.

Bella knew her father didn't approve of her friendship with Harry. When they were together, both avoided discussing the subject. It would have been a waste of effort as neither of them would budge on their opinion of the matter.

If there was one thing Bella was absolutely certain of, it was that she was doing the right thing. It was hard for her to continue cautiously when what she really wanted to do was throw caution to the wind and open up to him completely, and she probably would have already if it weren't for that pesky little voice constantly bringing her worst fears to the forefront of her mind.

Bella closed her eyes and rubbed them with the heel of her palm. She knew the stress she was feeling now was nothing compared to how she would feel if Harry were released on parole.

How often would he contact her? Would he insist they meet in person? Would he try to track her down? Bella knew she had a hard time saying no to him. If she asked for space, would he respect her wishes? Or would he interpret such a request as rejection? Was he really as good a person as she thought? Or was he good at hiding his real intentions? What if Isaac was right after all?