𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

BELLA stepped out of her car and into the cold December night air. It had taken her forever to find a parking spot. She hurried toward the mall, pulling a scarf over her nose to ward off the chill. Once inside, she checked her watch and breathed a sigh of relief. There was still time to see Harry.

Excitement buzzed in the air as shoppers browsed for last minute gifts. Brightly decorated Christmas trees lined the aisles, twinkling lights covered pillars, and giant bows adorned shelves. Signs for last minute sales were everywhere.

The scent of chocolate captured Bella's attention, and she spared a glance over her shoulder as she passed display cases filled with fudge and other confections. She didn't want to stop and risk missing Harry's final performance of the season. It wasn't the first time Bella had come to watch him play, but her new work schedule seemed to always conflict with his performance times, and she didn't get to listen to him nearly as much as she'd hoped.

The sound of Christmas music became louder as she journeyed farther inside the store—a familiar melody played by a solo piano. If she didn't know better, she'd have thought the song was a professional recording.

In the middle of the rotunda, bent over a grand piano, sat Harry. Around him a small crowd had gathered, watching intently as his fingers danced over the keys. Harry's performance didn't go unnoticed. Even people seemingly in a hurry slowed as they passed. Next to Bella, a little boy came to a halt, tugging at his mom's shirt and pointing at Harry. A smile lit his face as he stared with undisguised amazement. Bella felt her own smile spread across her face as well.

As if he could sense her presence, Harry cocked his head in Bella's direction. His eyes never left the sheet music in front of him, not that he needed a reminder of which notes came next. The pages were there to serve as an added assurance in case his memory failed him under pressure, and although he hadn't yet needed to use them, they made a better focal point than the inquisitive audience.

The music slowed mid-song, changing in key and dropping an octave as the cheery, fast-paced holiday tune transitioned into the familiar lullaby Bella loved. It still warmed her heart every time Harry played her song, and her cheeks ached from smiling so widely. If anyone in the crowd noticed the change in the music, they didn't seem to mind.

Harry played Bella's song, pouring the same amount of passion into it as he always did. Instead of letting the ending trail off and fade into an unfinished cord, he made another fluid transition back to his planned set list.

Once he was finished playing, the onlookers dispersed. Bella waited patiently while the woman whose son had been fascinated by Harry stopped to take a flier and inquire about lessons. When they were finally alone, he turned to her and pulled her into his arms, the nervous tension he felt while playing in public still apparent in his embrace.

"You sounded great."

Harry's cheeks blazed. He looked at the floor as he smiled, unable to meet her eyes. "Thanks."

Giggling, Bella nudged his shoulder with hers. Harry had played in various public places over the past six months, and he was just as shy now as when he began. For how fantastic he always played, she found his modesty endearing.

"Come on," she said, placing her hand in his. "Buy me some chocolate and let's get out of here."

* * *

Michael was out of town visiting relatives, so the house was dark and empty when they arrived. Harry changed out of the suit he wore and into something more comfortable. He retrieved Bella's gift from where it was hidden in the dresser and joined her in the living room.

"Merry Christmas," he said, offering her the small box. Excitement lit Bella's face as she reached for it, and he hoped she wouldn't be disappointed over what was inside. "It's not much, but I hope you like it."