𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗𝐗

ON Wednesday morning, Bella was wide awake before her alarm went off. She was exhausted, not having slept very well throughout the night, but knew spending any additional time in bed wouldn't do her any good. She got up, picked out a set of clothing, and tiptoed into the bathroom. It took her less than thirty minutes to get ready. Because she was still an hour ahead of schedule, she decided to make coffee and eat a bowl of cereal instead of her normal routine of grabbing a granola bar and stopping at a coffee shop on the way to campus.

The television caught Bella's attention as she entered the living room. It was on, the volume barely audible. She wondered if Harry was awake. She approached his makeshift room, stopping when she reached the sheet.

"Harry?"

There was no answer. Discreetly, she peeked around the curtain. Harry was sound asleep, curled up in the fetal position. The sheet was tangled around his legs. The blanket had been kicked to the floor. Bella couldn't help herself-she went to the couch and crouched down beside him.

He looked relaxed. No concerned frown. No worried pout. It was the most peaceful she had ever seen him. Afraid he might be cold, Bella retrieved the blanket from the floor and carefully placed it over him. Harry straightened his legs and rolled onto his back. Bella held her breath. She didn't want him to wake up and catch her hovering. He didn't wake, however, and Bella quietly backed away. She turned off the television before slipping out of the room.

The morning dragged on for Bella. Her mind kept wandering to Harry. Was he awake? What was he doing? Did he feel at home enough to make something to eat? Would he be out looking for a job? She hoped the time alone would help him to feel settled in.

By the time her class was over, Bella was anxious to get home. Her apartment was empty when she arrived. The couch was back to its normal state, and Harry's belongings were tucked neatly out of site. For how nervous his presence made her over the past two days, she was surprised by her disappointment to find him gone.

Bella made lunch, cleaned the apartment, studied, and then watched television. Harry had yet to return. It was difficult for her not to worry. She kept telling herself he was a grown man and didn't need supervision. Still, a part of her feared he would find trouble.

It was almost six o'clock when there was a knock on the door. Bella looked through the peephole, quickly opening the door when she saw it was Harry.

"Hey, you're back!" When she saw the bags he was holding, her eyes went wide. "Oh, my gosh. Let me help you."

"I've got it." Harry stepped inside and dropped the bags to the floor. "These are for you." He held out a small bouquet of violet, yellow, and white wildflowers.

"Oh," Bella said, clearly surprised. "They're beautiful. Thank you. What's the occasion?"

"I didn't realize there had to be an occasion to buy a girl flowers," Harry said cautiously.

"There doesn't. I just . . . wasn't sure if you had a specific reason, that's all." Bella rummaged through the kitchen for a vase. When her search turned up unsuccessful, she opted to place them in a tall glass. "What else did you get?"

"Just a couple more things I needed." Harry shrugged, then his lips curved into a devilish grin. "And this." He retrieved something from one of the bags and tossed it on the counter.

Bella picked up the small box. "Cake mix?"

"Yeah. Something to put the Funfetti on."

"Gross." Bella wrinkled her nose then smiled so Harry would know she was teasing. "You were gone all day. What else did you do?"