𝐗𝐋𝐈

THE weeks leading up to the end of Bella's second trimester at the University of Washington were filled with study dates with Lily, even if they did spend more time watching movies than reviewing their classwork. Harry was never surprised to return home after work to find the two of them on the couch, wearing sweatpants and eating pizza, eyes glued to the flat-panel television Bella had found on Craigslist for a quarter of the price of buying it new.

While Bella and Lily became close friends, Harry fell into a comfortable routine with his coworkers. He made it a point to go out with them at least once a week, and each time, they found a new restaurant, café, or coffee shop that fit his parole requirements.

Harry still wasn't thrilled to attend meetings, but because there was nothing he could do about it, he begrudgingly showed up three times a week. Worse than the meetings were the apartment inspections. Harry didn't mind them so much personally; after all, anything was better than being in prison, and he had nothing to hide. What bothered him the most was Bella's visible discomfort when the officers went through her things. She had told him multiple times she didn't mind-if anything, their invasion of his privacy angered her. Still, Harry couldn't shake the guilt he felt each time there was an unexpected knock on the door. The only time he felt any sort of respite was when Officer Evenson performed the search herself. Her friendly demeanor and laid back attitude always made it seem more like a social call than a mandatory home inspection.

"I'm really proud of you, Harry," Evenson had told him at the end of her visit the night before. "The first three months are the hardest. You've only been out for ten weeks, you have a permanent job, you haven't missed a meeting . . ." She grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly. When she spoke again, her voice was low and reverent. "There are so many people in your position who don't seize the opportunities presented to them. They don't believe they can change their lives, and they don't have good people supporting them. You've done so well in such a short period of time. There's not a doubt in my mind that you will have a great life."

Harry thought about Evenson's words carefully, especially the part about support from good people. He was certain he wouldn't have been half as successful if it weren't for Bella. Whenever he was feeling down about himself, she always had something positive to say. She pushed him to keep searching for a job when he got discouraged after only a few days. He hadn't even considered getting his driver's license until Bella suggested it, and she insisted he use her car to get to work and meetings, opting to walk the short distance to campus instead. Even his job was a result of her one-time exchange with Michael.

On top of all the things Bella did for him, Harry found himself striving to do better for her. He wanted to be worthy of her love, and he wanted to make her proud. She deserved the best; he was determined to be the best for her.

It was Friday night. After spending an exhausting day at work, and sitting silently through yet another group therapy session, Harry was relieved to finally get home. He was worn out and wanted nothing more than to sit on the couch and mentally unwind. He kicked off his shoes as he stepped into the dark and seemingly empty apartment.

"Bella?"

"In here," she called from the bathroom. "Lily and I are going out tonight. She should be here any minute. Do you think you could give us a ride?"

The bathroom door was slightly ajar, casting a thin beam of light across the living room carpet. Harry nudged the door open with his toe. Bella stood in front of the mirror, wrapped in a towel. She smiled at him as she ran a styling iron through her hair, creating loose curls that cascaded over her shoulders. Leaning against the doorframe, Harry let his gaze wander over Bella's face. Her eyes were accentuated with a heavy black line, and her cheeks were tinted a darker shade of pink than the natural blush he was accustomed to seeing. She was still beautiful to him, nevertheless, just as she would undoubtedly be to any man who set eyes on her tonight.