Chapter 17 - Aaron 2.0

Eclipse Of The Moon ~ Book 1 of Aaron
Chapter 17
Aaron 2.0

Sunday 20 October 2002

Euphoria: State of extreme happiness and self-confidence, sometimes more than is reasonable in a particular situation. One that is groundless, disproportionate to its cause, or inappropriate to one's life situation.

I feel euphoric as I step out of the shower and wipe myself dry. This elation is limitless and maybe too much with regards to what my current condition is, but I am too far gone into my resolve to let anything reasonable dampen my enthusiasm. Aaron 1.0 spent seventeen years bearing with his family's rigidity and archaism, complying with all their strict rules and pretending to be someone he wasn't. He lived under the oppression of a stringent and authoritative father, of a submissive mother whose faith is more important than anything else, and among siblings who followed their parents' path.

Aaron 2.0 is not going to take any of that, no matter what will happen. I don't care if my father yells at me or even beats me, there is not much more he can do, and he will tire before I do. I won't go to church anymore, I won't pray anymore, and I will date guys as much as I want to.

When I walk out of the bathroom and cross the corridor to my bedroom, I hear the sound of a muffled but agitated conversation downstairs. Probably my mother ratting out on me to my father.

Good! Tell him, Mom!

I don't even try to decipher their words and instead, I lock myself in my room, where I throw my PJs in a corner with the towel I had wrapped around my waist, before I pull more clothes from my drawers that I scatter around the room to decide on what I am going to wear. Now, this is a pretty mess after a couple of minutes! A pretty mess that looks like me!

I eventually decide on black briefs and socks, an old pair of fitted jeans my mother had trashed some time ago because of the hole at the knee – but that I had saved secretly – and one of the rare black tee-shirts I have. Out of habit, I had put my comforter at the window to air it like I am supposed to do, so I grab it back and discard it on my bed any old way. Just as I am about to put more mess, the handle of my door starts shaking before my father's voice echoes from behind.

"Aaron, open that door! I need to talk to you!" he orders firmly.

Well, I can hear you through the door, Dad, so go ahead and spill the beans!

In fact, I just ignore him and go lie down on my bed with a smug smile that he can't see, but that's fine. I don't mind.

"Aaron! What are you doing in there?"

"Jacking off! Leave me alone!" I reply in a serious tone, containing a chuckle.

"AARON!!! OPEN THAT DOOR!!" he yells, banging on the poor wooden door. He insists a bit more, but quickly gives up. "You and I will have a conversation when you get out, Aaron! And you'd better be ready by 10 to go the mass!"

"I won't go!"

"This is Sabbath day, you must go to church, Aaron!"

"Well, I won't!" I deadpan with heavy sarcasm.

"So you think! But trust me it won't take me long before I open that door!" he promises with determination before he goes away.

Unless he breaks the door open, I don't see how he could manage as long as the key is inside the lock on my side. Unless he has fun dismantling the hinges... In any case, I don't intend to wait here and see what happens, so I put on my hoodie and open my window very slowly in order to avoid making it creak. Once on the lower roof, leaving the window barely an inch open, I move further to the right side since my bedroom is just above the dining room where they must be having breakfast now, and use the other gutter to climb down.