Chapter 40 - Heaven Water

Eclipse Of The Moon ~ Book 1 of Aaron
Chapter 40
Heaven Water

Saturday 11 October 2003

"Wow, the building looks gorgeous," I murmur as Anton parks in front of what looks like an old construction and which bears neon lights that say Heaven Water.

"No change of plans, Ivan?" Anton asks carefully.

"No. I'll see you in a bit," Ivan replies sternly before he tilts his head toward me while his friend steps out of the car. "This place used to be a casino actually, hence the old architecture," he explains with a wink as he opens the door.

As Anton drives away, Ivan leads me toward the large entrance of the building, where stanchions linked by thick red rope are standing, waiting to be expanded when guests will start queuing later tonight. It's only 5pm right now, so the sidewalk is obviously empty, but I can easily imagine what it will look like in a few hours. I can't help a mental smirk when a bouncer greets us and shows us in because I won't have to do these lines to get in.

"Where's Anton going?" I ask distractingly while I'm ushered into a huge hall, taking in its beauty.

The hall has kept its old charm with shiny wooden desk counters on both sides. The dim light doesn't allow me to see all the details, but I do notice the ancient-like cash registers, and in the left alcove, someone is rearranging all the coat-hangers on racks. The girl shyly welcomes us, and once Ivan has politely saluted her, he leads me toward a short, dark and low-ceiling corridor that opens on the main room.

"He's gone to park the car at the rear of the club," Ivan replies as we enter the large space.

"Why didn't we go there directly?" I ask curiously.

There's a brief moment of hesitation with embarrassment or something similar displaying on my guardian's face before he recovers his normal bearing.

"Because I wanted you to discover the Heaven Water from its main entrance," he replies with a wide smile, opening his right arm and sweeping the huge room in a long circular gesture.

"Jeez, it's big... and modern!!" I exclaim as my eyes roam around the feebly lit room.

"That, it is," he chuckles, grabbing my elbow and guiding me toward the center of the room. "Like I told you earlier, it's a former casino and that's why it's kept its old architecture, but as you can see, most of the interior has been redecorated and modernized even if we preserved the old design. The dance floor has some of the latest technologies in terms of lightings and effects."

"I can't wait to see those in action," I reply eagerly.

"In a few hours, Menino. Also, the casino often hosted jazz concerts, so we kept the stage for bands to play live. And over there," he continues, pointing at a large balcony, "that's the DJ's den."

"Cool! Will I get to meet him?"

"Yep, a bit later you will. His name is Scott."

"And what about all the other balconies?" I ask with genuine curiosity.

"They're VIP spaces. They're rented by groups who want to organize private parties or sometimes by celebrities who want to enjoy a bit of privacy with friends. And finally, there are lounge areas and bars when guests want to take a break and enjoy a drink. As for the restrooms, they're a bit everywhere, but," he trails off with a certain expression of resolve, pointing at a rather dark spot behind the main lounge, "these... let's say they're often busy with people... going at it."

"Are you talking about... sex?" I insist with a wide smile.

"Yeah, sex... There are condom dispensers in all the restrooms anyway," the grumpy bear adds meaningfully.