Chapter 39 - Happy Birthday, Menino

Eclipse Of The Moon ~ Book 1 of Aaron
Chapter 39
Happy Birthday, Menino

Friday 10 October 2003

A sudden bright light flashes before my closed eyelids, causing me to grunt in exasperation as I roll to my front and bury my face into my pillow. I'm tired; I could definitely use more sleep.

Apart from a bit more reviewing, I think I'm ready for the GED tests; I no longer have to get up at dawn to work as hard as I used to. So why the hell is Ivan trying to wake me up so early?

Seconds later, the gentle melody of a piano begins to resound, probably from the small CD player on my bedside table. Notes that I have heard quite a few times in the last few months since this band is one of Ivan's favorites – definitely not mine, much worse than Queen, and the source of many arguments when we want to listen to music in the same room. To be honest, I can actually bear with the beginning of this song, especially if Ivan's voice covers the singer's.

There is nothing boy that can stop my course
I will hold you tight never let you go
Tomorrow's party will never end
Like a bud in spring our love will bloom and grow

In fact, I can only smile at this, still hidden in my pillow, but that's until Jimmy Sommerville's shrilling voice gets louder and tries to kill my eardrums with his Youuuuuuuuu are my world.

No way. I just can't.

Extending my arm to the right, my fingers quickly find the stop button and the torture ends right away.

"Happy birthday!" Ivan shouts cheerfully, literally jumping on my bed and bouncing on the mattress like a kid.

His unexpected playfulness has me flick my eyes open and roll to my left side, and there he is in his gorgeous half-nakedness kneeling on my bed, only wearing pajama pants and showing off his tanned and taut chest. How the heck can this man be almost 40!? And why the fuck do I find him so attractive!? This doesn't excuse his attempt at destroying my ears so early in the morning.

"Hey! I said happy birthday!!" Ivan repeats, grinning at me.

Once again, I'm caught off-guard by his unusual behavior, but this time, the message seeps in, achieving to fully wake me up.

I'm fucking 18!!!!

I still can't drink alcohol or gamble in casinos, but... I'm an adult and I can vote, work full time, have sex with other people aged 18 or more, and I can even get married! Not that the latter would ever occur unless I go straight.

More accurately, I could cash my savings, get a tattoo and go clubbing as long as I don't drink alcohol.

And above all, I can at last live freely and openly, and use my ID because even if my parents look for me, they'll have no right to force me back home.

I could even have an affair with that sex god on my bed...

"Thanks..." I grunt, still bewildered by his exceptional cheerfulness.

"Come on, Menino! You're 18! You're an adult! You know what this means, right?" he laughs, switching the music back on.

"Argh no way!!!!" I groan, reaching for the plug and pulling it off the wall. "How can you wish me a happy birthday with such... crap?"

"It's not crap. And it's a fair revenge from all the times I have to bear with your crap music!"

"Yeah, yeah... whatever you say."

"Anyway, I've taken the day off and I've got plans for us," he continues, getting off the bed and picking a tray of food from the floor. "But first, breakfast in bed, Mister!"