Chapter 23 - The City Of Prostitution

Eclipse Of The Moon ~ Book 1 of Aaron
Chapter 23
The City Of Prostitution

Friday 23 May 2003

My fingers have become quite skilled at rolling joints but today, my hands are shaking a bit for various reasons.

One is that I've only had half a doob today, a leftover from last night that I kept knowing I would need it today, when I often get three to five, sometimes more. I really need to get fucking cash to refill in cannabis or I won't be able to guarantee anything good. I should have done something this afternoon, I was supposed to go and search the town for things to resell in pawn shops, but I couldn't resolve to pull myself together after the call I had with my best friends earlier this morning.

As usual, speaking with Mark, Camden and Joshua resulted in a mix of emotions that I have more and more difficulty to handle. There is always the relief part because I miss them, I need to hear their voices, and above all, I need to know how they are doing and what they are doing. But then always comes the oppressing part, the one that saddens me to no end and leaves me in a deep state of depression as soon as the call is over.

It's not only because I will have to wait for another week to hear my friends, but also because each time I get to speak with them, I realize how much I am missing of what happens in their lives and I hate it. I hate that I wasn't allowed a peaceful last year in high school like most teenagers are. I hate that I couldn't attend the graduation ceremony – even if only in the audience, I would have loved to see my friends' pride and happiness – and I hate that I couldn't support them like I should have whenever they needed it.

Well, at least they did graduate from high school and they have only provided me with good news this time.

Camden was granted his scholarship, and his registration at the Boston University in human physiology has been confirmed. I am so fucking proud of him because only a few years ago, seeing how messed up his life and school attendance were, one would never have thought he'd be able to catch up and start a med school. Yet, he made it. His happiness is only partial though, a bit dampened by his worries for Sony. He hates having to leave his little brother alone with their mother.

Cam had also applied in other colleges, closer to home so that he could visit the little boy often enough, but unfortunately, he wasn't accepted in those, so Boston it will be. Even if he can still talk over the phone with the little chap, he won't be able to visit him very often over the next five years, if at all, and that stresses him a lot because he knows he can't really rely on his mother. Besides, since his grades weren't among the highest in Math and Biology, they have strongly recommended him to attend the summer course to catch up and be ready when the schoolyear starts, which means he is moving to Boston by the beginning of July.

Then Joshua...

Fuck... Joshua got me dumbfounded. Mister Pierce Junior was Valedictorian at the graduation ceremony! My friend ended the year as the student with the highest GPA in our high school and was entitled to do the closing statement at the ceremony.

Mark and Cam said his speech was epic and beautiful, mostly about tolerance and respect, not only between students or from teenagers towards adults, but he also said that these are values which parents, teachers and other representatives of authority should hold toward younger people. He quoted the Murray parents as a bright example. I would say that Pierce Senior and his wife must have hated this, but they weren't even here to congratulate their son because they were celebrating their twentieth wedding anniversary on a cruise.

Anyway, Joshua eventually got his acceptance letter from Yale and since his father is upset with his choice – though he still accepted Josh's decision – he has also enrolled him for summer classes to prepare him for the schoolyear and the busy program he will follow there, meaning that Josh will also move to the campus by mid-July. Needless to say Josh wasn't the happiest about it, but like I told him, it will allow him to leave the family nest and to enjoy more freedom earlier than planned.